Healing faces best practice

New to sketchup…
Finding that as I create my models (architecture) as I edit things along and along, I accidentally delete faces in a lot of locations. My guess is I’ll get better at this in time but for now…

So, if have a “wall” that I’ve extruded (or the back face of a roof plane as examples) and I delete the plane (not necessarily the edges), what is the best way to go about recreating missing planes?
Reasons I would need to do this would be to extrude a wall etc to a new location later as example.
Seems like redrawing the rectangles at the current elevations is the only way that makes sense.

If it is just the face simply draw along an edge.

Cool! (:

Similar question…
Lets say I just drew that line and healed the plane. Yeah! but I didnt draw the line full length. Now I have a broken line. Any way to make that line a single continuous line?
This happens a lot too… lots of broken lines and I can’t figure out how to fix them.
I have noticed that if I completely trace over a line that the line below automatically erases… right?
Similarly, If I copy a face without double clicking to select the edges, when I paste the plane somewhere else it automatically recreates the edges… correct?

There are various weld extensions as well as the inbuild weld option which will join segments together in a continuous edge, they will retain their segments.
Removing, or healing them is slightly different. If you add an edge then remove it it will remove the break.
Heal

If you have lots of them Fredo Tools, remove lonely vertices will find and remove them.

Edges can exist without a face but faces cannot exist without edges.

To avoid this separate geometry into groups.

1 Like

That’s awesome box!
Used in my site model and was able to clean up a lot of issues.
Will look into the “Fredo” tools. Not familiar with that but assuming it’s an extension.

Thanks Sonder. Yes, I’m becoming comfortable with groups and components and using them alot now… possibly too much. But one of the big things I noticed that has helped me is that by using groups and components I don’t have to deal with various entities connecting to and breaking up other entities… I’m thinking this is what you are referring to. Which leads me to my next question…
I’ll post as a separate topic.

Yes, this is exactly the purpose of groups and components - to form independent geometry contexts.

Most probably you just think you are overdoing it. You are supposed to group as much as possible.
to put it differently: In your model you are not supposed to have any ‘naked geometry’ (ungrouped geometry) at all.

Well that makes me feel better about the way I’m using the software. Not unlike the way I use cad… tons of blocks and nested blocks etc. One thing I am doing a little different with sketchup (at least for the time being) is not feeling like I have to name everything… Which always tends to bog me down drawing on some levels. Trying to dumb things down a little in sketchup and I must say it’s refreshing.

On some level I’d love to be able to go back to the old cad days when I knew nothing about layers or plot styles etc etc. Forgetting about lineweights etc. Life would be sooooooo much easier! On many levels anyway.
But I digress!

AutoCAD is mainly about lines, SketchUp is about edges and it will always try to look if it could create a face.
As you have noticed, a face needs it’s bounding edges.
So it will create them on the fly.

Extruding or push/pulling faces will create both and it doesn’t check for you which Layer was assigned, only the current active Layer determines new created faces or lines.
Layers don’t isolate geometry!

So the best way to utilize this phenomenon is to leave the active Layer ‘Layer0’, which basically means ‘Non-layered’ (or now as they are now called Tags , ‘Untagged’) and just assign Layers to the isolated groups or components.

Only colors can be used to differentiate edges in SketchUp, the lineweight is always ‘1’ which is dependant on some graphical properties of the used monitor.

Profiles (surrounding perimeter of a group) and section cut lineweights can be set as a factor of the normal edges. Section set to 3 means a three times wider line then the edge. These scale factors are used in LayOut, where you can set a pixelbased or ‘plotter’ thickness per ‘Viewport’

Mike-
Yes, that’s what I have been doing… everything on zero with groups and components on various layers. So, I think I see your point in that I’m not going to be carrying over my layers (at least individual line work) from sketchup into autocad.
“colors used to differentiate edges”… wondering if I could take advantage of this somehow in cad?
So, really can only assign “Lineweights” globally to section perimeters and group perimeters… right? And this can only be done in LO?
Then the “plotter lineweight thickness” is also globally set and section and group perimeter lineweights are a multiplier of that “pen weight”?
Assuming for the individual viewports the lineweights for these entities can be set up differently… say for a detail vs a building section?
Any recommendations as to how I might want to proceed with utilizing the functionality of CAD and sketchup… please see my other threads.

No, this is in SketchUp!
An inserted ‘Viewport’ in LayOut that has lineweight 0.4 draws the normal edges 0.4, the profiles 0.8 and the section cuts 1.2

I don’t find profiles that important and usually have it set to the same as the normal edges. If we wanted the construction walls to have a heavier lineweight than the interior walls or framing, we needed to create different scenes for each lineweight and then ‘stack’ viewports accordingly.

That is, if using an earlier version than 2021, btw.
Now, we have more flexibility in LayOut.

I suggest to investigate some books to prevent inventing the wheel.

Matt Donley or Mike Brightman comes in mind.

I must look into that extension myself.

I have found that Weld does not always do what it says on the tin. Equally, just redrawing over a split line doesn’t necessarily repair it either.

I have become used to ignoring split lines because they occur so often and seem hard to deal with. But they can be annoying. Ultimately, the only surefire way I have found of eliminating them is to erase all split parts and redraw the line from scratch. But maybe the Fredo tool saves all that?

Will look into these books…
Thanks and thanks for the clarification!

Simon yes. Hoping Fredo will help with that is well!