Having trouble with select and move

I am a new user of Sketchuo Maker 2017. I started using it January 11, 2021. The program worked great and I was able to do several work bench drawings (I was following a tutorial of Kings Fine Woodworking on YouTube). However, on January 17 when I tried to repeat the same drawing it wouldn’t work. Something has changed so I cannot do even the simplest items. I have uninstalled and reinstall the program at least 10 times and I have reset the computer (laptop) numerous times. I suspect an update in my Windows 10 programs changed something, but I don’t have any idea what. I think I need to talk to someone to explain the details of what is happening which might help finding a solution. I have search Google for an answer, but I’m lost. Help!

What changed on your computer? SketchUp 2017 Make hasn’t changed in more than three years so what did? What happens exactly when you try to use SketchUp?

When you did this did you do it correctly? That is, did you right click on the downloaded installer file and choose Run as administrator?

What is your graphics card? Your profile says “HP Laptop” but that isn’t a graphics card.

Possibly a Windows-supplied graphics driver update that was broken. That’s not unusual. You could try going to the GPU manufacturer’s site and getting their latest drivers and installing them. Or maybe you need to roll your computer back to before January 17th.

The screen are normal when I start. 1st made a rectangle 4"x4" then did a push pull to raise it up to 30". Next I tried to select it to move/copy to the right down the green axis. Here is where the problem starts. When try to select it takes 5 seconds or so before it does and then it only selects one face. If I try to move it becomes a wall instead of moving. If I esc to back up and deselect it takes 5 seconds or so to do that also.

Possibly a graphics issue.

Do the things I suggested. Get the graphics drivers from the GPU manufacturer and if you didn’t do it before, right click on the downloaded SketchUp 2017 installer and choose Run as administrator. Do that after you install the latest GPU drivers and when prompted, choose the Repair option.

Okay. Thanks. I’ll get back to you on this after I complete it. Because of time today it probably won’t be until tomorrow.

I was able to down the graphics driver for my laptop and then restarted. I opened/run Sketchup in the Admin mode from the short cut, but didn’t receive a repair screen or suggestion and couldn’t find one in the program once it opened. The results are when I select now it happens immediately, however it is still only selecting one face at a time. I can select the front face or go back and select the side face, but I cannot select the object itself.

I didn’t tell you to do that.

I told you to repair the installation of SketchUp by right clicking on the downloaded installer and choosing Run as administrator. Then select Repair.

If that doesn’t help and the new graphics driver didn’t help, then roll back your Windows update to before January 17.

Oops! Okay I’ll do that.