Glued to components on the outside of a parent component, what are they actually glued to?

So (in laymen’s language, as a SketchUp user, I’m not a coder), what are these instances (the yellow rings) actually glued to when placing them from outside on face locations inside a parent component? See following screenshot:

The center cut off cube formerly filled the entire bounding box of the parent component.
The rings were placed from outside of the parent’s context:

• on red/blue front face location
  • on green/blue right side face location
  • on red/green top face location
  • on slanted purple face location

The the inner “cube” shape was then scaled down by 0.5 (in edit mode of the parent) to see the rings floating.
The colored lines are there just to keep track of what the original bounding box was when making further changes to see how this would affect the rings (like rotating the parent’s axes).

The file: B glue to component.skp (1.3 MB)

As far as I can see, the ‘rings’ (cylinders) have attached themselves to the position of the component faces before you scaled it down.

You have a very large number of copies of your coloured lines marking the old bounding box, and they are inside your component - so many, that before I opened Outliner, I couldn’t work out why i couldn’t delete any of them!
Confusing!

And the origin of your shrunk component is still at the origin of the original, though perhaps that is because the lines marking the old boundary are still there. Or did you Scale about centre?

If I start in a new drawing, copy and paste your Component as raw geometry, scale it back to 10m (so x2), and make it into a new component, then make a copy and paste one of the rings into the new drawing, when I drag the ring out from the Component Browser and Glue to Face on the component from outside, it scales up and down on the surface, with the component.
Glue to

[LATER EDIT]

Have just re-read your post more carefully. I can now reproduce what you see.

Glue to

Looks as if, as I first guessed. that the ‘glued on’ rings are positioning themselves relative to the component axes, based on where the faces were when they glued on.

Interesting. Possibly by design, but not perhaps what one would expect.

@colin Anyone from the SU team care to comment?

@john_mcclenahan, on my phone now, so I can’t check anything now. The colored bounding box are 3D Polylines, not edges. You can only select entire lines to delete them, unlike edges that you can click on. If you put or leave one 'Entity in the patent, the rings are stille glued to… but to what?

As I just edited my post to say, it looks as if the rings ‘glue to’ not the position of the face as it updates, but to where the rings were in relation to the component axes when they were placed.

Even if I just move an individual face inside the component open for editing, the rings don’t move.

Curious. I’m not sure if I’ve ever even thought it possible to place a glueing component on the outside of another component. I think I’ve only glued it directly to a face open for editing, inside the component.

Thanks - I hadn’t spotted that. There are still a lot of whatever they are.

Don’t think I remember drawing polylines myself so i wouldn’t have recognised them as that.

If something is glued to a component, it is glued to the component, and not to anything inside of the component. You can move around all geometry within the component, or delete and repalce it with other geometry, without the glued thing moving.

You can also ask the glued thing what it is glued to using the API, and it will return the reference to the component instance.

1 Like

Could be worth reading this topic: replacing edges by components? • sketchUcation • 1

Thanks - I hadn’t spotted that. There are still a lot of whatever they are.
[/quote]
@john_mcclenahan, the 3D polylines (although weird entities) aren’t that important, only for eyeballing how rings seem to be fixed to the planes where faces formerly were when placing the rings. You can delete the faces. You can change the parent’s component axes, You can delete the entire parent’s content, all but just one entity. It all doesn’t matter. the rings remain fixed to some plane. It’s not even the plane of the bounding box (when parent’s axes are changed.)

@eneroth3, I know all this. As I mentioned in the other thread about “glue to bug”, you can even reduce the component’s content to a single guidepoint. I know that the rings are glued to the component where faces are/were. I’ll try to rephrase my question. What determines their fixed plane position when you can even changed the parent’s axes if there is nothing left but (say) a guidepoint?

Apparently such a component also contains/stores these “glue to” planes somewhere in their definition.

The plane is the X Y plane in the glued component. A component can only be glued in this plane, which could cause issues if you have a asset database where you use Z as vertical axis but also want to glue a poster or window to a horizontal face.

I’m not talking about the glued components themselves, but about what matters in the parent.

The above is the result I see when applying components to a parent component on the outside. No parent bounding box, no parent local axes, no parent content seem to matter. And it is definitively not restricted to one single plane(-orientation).

To my knowledge there is no property of the glued-to component that affects gluing. Gluing only means that when the glued-to component is moved, the glued component moves with it.