Geometry issues and floor finishes

Hi there,
I am new to Sketchup and had some geometry issues with a ground floor house layout I am creating for a study project. I have removed the walls that were the problem was and re-built, but now cannot re-apply the floor. If I were to share my plan can anyone possible help please and tell me where I have gone wrong?
Many thanks.

Most like we can help you get it sorted out if you upload the .skp file.

You are using SketchUp for Schools (the web based version), correct?

HI, I had a 30 day trial and have just bought the student licence and am learning through the Interior Design Institute. It appears I have bigger problems as it won’t actually let me upload the SketchUp file!

So you aren’t using SketchUp for Schools (web).

Probably just due to the file size. Upload it to Drop Box or Google Drive and share the link.

Thanks - I will try

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QTcZyOiAmdXJxZpSjniV3jShJm7FzdyD/view?usp=sharing

You need to allow access to the file.

While I’m looking at your file, how about straightening out your profile. Change the License Type to SketchUp Pro and add your graphics card information.

Thanks - it should work now hopefully!..
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QTcZyOiAmdXJxZpSjniV3jShJm7FzdyD/view?usp=sharing

That worked. The reason you can’t apply a texture to the floor is because there isn’t one to apply a texture to. If you orbit to look up from below it’s very obvious.

The geometry of your building is all loose geometry which is unfortunate because it makes the model difficult to work with. Here I’ve grouped that loose geometry and hidden the rest of the model while editing the group. There is a stray edge that prevents a face from forming. It’s in the circle near the cursor in this screen shot.

Zoomed in.

After erasing that little edge segment the face for the floor can be created by tracing a bottom edge of the wall with the Line tool.

Before you go any farther developing this model you should take care of a few things.

First, you have lots of exposed back faces–the blue ones in this screen shot. You should only have white front faces out. This is important for a number of reasons. In your case, you might be planning to run your model through a rendering application. Many renderers either have difficulty rendering back faces or just won’t render them.

Next, you have a lot of incorrectly tagged geometry. ALL edges and faces should be created and left untagged. Only objects (components and groups) should get tagged.
Screenshot - 5_19_2021 , 8_53_54 AM

You should also get in the habit of purging unused stuff from your models. If you are getting components from the 3D Warehouse to try out but then delete from the model space, that doesn’t remove them from the model file. If you decide you don’t like the couch and delete it, it’s still part of the file. It’s like you’ve dragged the couch out to the garage. It might not be in the lounge but it’s still on the property.

This is the result of purging unused stuff from your model.
Screenshot - 5_19_2021 , 8_59_20 AM

this reduced the file size by more than 53%.

I would also suggest that you go to Window>Model Info>Units and turn OFF length snapping. Having it on can create problems with things not aligning correctly and even those little stray edges.
Screenshot - 5_19_2021 , 9_04_20 AM

1 Like

Thank you so much - that is all very helpful.
I will implement all the things you have suggested and hopefully will be in much better shape!

1 Like