Follow Me tool fails (when modeling at tiny scale)

Best thing might be…

Alola Chair.skp (332.7 KB)

Where is the path and profile you’re working on? I don’t see it.
Capture

I’m guessing it’s for the arms of the chair, but I can see one of the problems, the OP is modeling doll house furniture.

The parts are very small, the internal circles of the small base parts only have a diameter of 1.3mm. It’s likely a small face issue that could be solved by turning to the good old Dave Method

1 Like

Getting back to the question of how big is it (or small is it, as it turns out), Helen is 5’ 1" I believe, and this pictures gives you an idea of how little your model is.

For doll house furniture you should edit components of the item at its real life size, then scale down the component to be doll house size.

1 Like

Also, Sketchup Free keeps on bitching about too many something radius!

That’s most likely related to the small size too.

Sounds like it was a size issue on my end. Thanks.

Check out the Learning Center. It has very good tutorials.

Weld all the path just to be sure that there are no gaps.

1 Like

I have a couple of thoughts on this.

1. If your circle (for the tube shape) is not absolutely perpendicular to the path (line) things can go bonkers. A solution is to use Chris Fulmer’s extension Perpendicular Face Tools from the Extension Warehouse. It will create a face perpendicular to any edge, even a curve. Actually, especially a curve.I use the perpendicular face’tools a lot as I work with cabling that runs at all kinds of odd angles and curves. Simply draw the path you want with lines, arcs, etc, then select the tool, then the end of the line or arc. This will place a face perpendicular to the end of the line; draw the shape you want on the face centered on the end point. Delete the perpendicular face and do follow me as you normally would.

2. Use Fredo’s FredoScale to bend a straight tube you’ve already drawn. This one takes some practice but works quite well. You can get this on SketchUcation.com under Fredo (authors). Make sure you also get LibFredo and install it as well to make Fredo’s apps work.

3. Draw at a larger scale, then scale down to the size you want after you’ve done the follow me.