Follow Me Issues

Hello all.

First post here so please don’t be too hard on me.

I’ve been using Sketchup on and off for a long time (since V3 I think) and consider myself reasonably competent. I’ve suddenly found something that I’ve relied on though has stopped working - using the Follow Me tool to extrude spherical or part-spherical forms.

Now the shape I was trying to create was relatively simple (a basically bullet shaped end on a cylinder) but it was in a relatively complex model, so to check the problem wasn’t actually some unnoticed geometric error in the model, I went back to square one, opened a new file and tried to draw a simple sphere by the tried and tested method of using the path of one circle to “extrude” a second, perpendicular, circle into a sphere (the method here: Spherical triangle help). However when I click with the Follow Me tool on the second circle, rather than extrude into a sphere the circle simply disappears. So what’s going on? Is there a bug in V16 or has something fundamental changed? Or am I being dumb?

Ta
Phil

how small is the initial sphere? It si possible that the geometry you are trying to create is just too small. Try again with an initial circle with a 10’ diameter. See what happens then…

I believe your model is too small. Try scaling up 100 times and do the same . If the faces are smaller than about 1 square mm, then they won’t be created.

Uploading your file here would be useful - issue could be something simple like using overly small geometry.

Aha! That’s it. Thank you. The cylinder that needed a bullet end is 6mm diameter. I’ve just tried 10 times the size and it works as expected. Scaling it down is then easy.

P