Finding COMPONENTS saved files

Hi All

I have made a component and save it. I cant find it as saved anywhere. Its not saved as a skp file where everything else is (in my docs folder). Is there another file type and default locations for components?
I have highlighted the component and Ctrl C and Ctrl V to duplicate it, which is useful saving time and does the job for now.
But to pull out a previously made component from a saved list is what I cant find.

Any tips for this?

Regards
Lordan

did you look in the ā€˜Components Browserā€™ inside SU?

1 Like

Hi John
Theres a components browser?

Oh I found itā€¦Great stuff.

Many thanksā€™

Lordan

Be aware that there is a setting on Windows editions to set the default file location when saving component files.

It is on the Window > Preferences > Files dialog panel.

2 Likes

When you first create a component, it is saved inside the SketchUp file you are currently editing, and it is visible in the In Model tab (little house icon) of the Components browser. If you want to save it as a separate file, you can right-click on an instance and select ā€œSave Asā€¦ā€ from the contextual menu, and you will be prompted for a filename and a folder in the usual way.

Anssi

1 Like

Where is it saved in 2017 Make? Iā€™ve tried to save several components, and thereā€™s no sign of them anywhere, especially not in the ā€œcomponentsā€ file location in ā€œWindow->Preferences->Filesā€. And when I try to context-click and ā€œsave asā€, the component is deselected as soon as I right click.

Are you right clicking on the selected component?

Yesā€¦ I think so. on vs where else?

Anywhere else in the model space. When you right click on a component you should get a context menu with a number of different options to select from. Is it possible youā€™ve got the right mouse button assigned to something other than right click?

In SU2017 and higher there is now a user AppData path ā€œComponentsā€ folder.

Paste into the file browser location on MS Windows ā€¦

%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Components

ā€¦ and then hit Enter to navigate there.

Suggest you then make a desktop shortcut to this folder.

1 Like

Dan, thatā€™s a good idea. Iā€™ve been navigating there in Explorer, and it gets a little old. Dave, I tried again in a blank workspace to be sure I was remembering correctly, and it worked as it should. If I figure out what I was doing wrong yesterday, Iā€™ll let you know, but Iā€™m pretty sure it had something to do with Sketchup not storing the component in the ā€œcomponentsā€ preference location.

Another way to save components is to drag and drop in the Components panel. You might try that.
save%20comp

When you context click and choose Save asā€¦ you select the save to location. I save components to specific collections(folders) based on what they are so I can find them more easily.

2 Likes

What I actually have done is pin the folder path to my File Explorer taskbar icon and then itā€™s available via a context click on that icon. (Home > Pin to Quick Access. But you can also drag and drop folders onto the taskbar File Explorer icon.)

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m back to trying to use components, having no luck at all. SU2017 Make wants to use the 3D Warehouse no matter what I do to discourage it. Basically, I want to assign a local extensions folder (and NOT the deeply-buried default) once, and have it used for all components in all models I work on on this computer. Is this even possible?

Read back through this thread and found the reference to the Window > Preferences > Files dialog panel. Thanks, Dan.

1 Like

Gosh, this is getting old. I thought I was getting somewhere, butā€¦

I set Window->Preferences->Files->Components to point to a folder on my PC. Then when I create a component, it sure-enough puts it in that folder, and I can then retrieve it later.

However, if I open another instance of Sketchup, with the same preferences specification, it doesnā€™t find the component I just put there. Also, I just noticed that if I continue to create components, they donā€™t show up in the folder ā€“ only the first one is there.

Can you not retrieve a component into a different model? Makes no sense.

Where is that folder you created? If you created that folder in the normal user location
Screenshot%20-%2010_17_2019%20%2C%206_19_54%20PM
The folder should show up automatically in the Components drop down list. If you put that folder elsewhere, even though youā€™ve set that as the save to location, you need to point SketchUp to it or it has no idea that it exists and wonā€™t show it in the drop down list. Open the Details menu and choose Open or Create a Local Collection.
Screenshot%20-%2010_17_2019%20%2C%206_22_05%20PM

Screenshot%20-%2010_17_2019%20%2C%206_23_05%20PM

If you want that to always collection to always show in the list, open the Details menu again and choose Add to Favorites.
Screenshot%20-%2010_17_2019%20%2C%206_23_22%20PM

If you are sorting your components into categories, one save to location in Preferences wonā€™t be enough. Iā€™ve currently got 22 different categories of components listed in my drop down.

Thanks again. Working now. The key was ā€œeven though youā€™ve set that as the save to location, you need to point SketchUp to it or it has no idea that it exists and wonā€™t show it in the drop down listā€¦ā€ I thought that setting the Preferences did point Sketchup to it.

That tells SketchUp where to save components when you right click on them and choose Save asā€¦ It doesnā€™t tell SketchUp where you what folders you want to show in the Components window.

Generally when I want to save a component Iā€™ve created into a local collection, I open the secondary pane, set it to the desired collection and drag the component from In Model in the top pane to the collection in the bottom pane. I find it easier and faster than navigating to the folder in the File Explorer.

Thanks again. Iā€™m not sure how I got them all into the local collection, but Iā€™ll adopt your method. Wish we were Vulcans - a partial mind meld now and then would be really handy.

1 Like