Fill arc at 45 degree angle

Hey everyone - I’m attempting to model a piece of quarter-round trim where the “end” is at a 45-degree angle where the trim piece might go around a 90-degree wall corner. I’ve mostly got it figured out except the very last point where I can’t seem to fill the area as seen in the screenshot/model below.

I’m curious to know what I might be doing wrong and how I would go about fixing it.

Thank you!

Model: quarter_round_45.skp (198.5 KB)

You would need to stitch the edges together in order to make the faces to close that opening. Although you can fill in the surface that way, it’s not the best nor easiest. It would be better of you make a “cutting face” positioned at the miter angle and use Intersect Faces to cut the quarter round. Either open the component for editing and do it or do it before you create the component.

miter

And don’t be stingy with the material on the waste side of the cut. It’ll be easier to select and delete and there won’t be anything to fill the burn barrel.

What @DaveR showed is the right approach. I’d like to point out a couple of issues with your model as shared, though, to help you do better in the future.

As you can see in the screenshot below, there are some spurious chords across the rounded end. I don’t know where they came from, but you should clean them up to avoid issues. Note that they don’t interfere with Dave’s method because he cuts the shape before the end, where they don’t exist.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 2.51.09 PM

Also, the arc you have drawn as a tentative end miter does not match the curvature of the main part. You can see this below, where I changed the camera to parallel projection and view from the right side. Again, I don’t know how you created it, but this is a reason to use the way Dave showed - impossible to mismatch curves using that technique!

1 Like

FWIW, here’s your version of the quarter round in the front after stitching between vertices to fill the faces. Mine is in the back. I modeled a new piece of quarter round before cutting it to avoid the back geometry Steve pointed out in yours.

1 Like

I used only Erase, Line tool and FollowMe:

1 Like

Wow, thank you everyone who responded with so many better ways to accomplish this instead of what I was doing. This helps tremendously not only for this component but working in Sketchup in general; I will look over all of your techniques and get familiar with how you did them. @DaveR, @slbaumgartner, and @Anssi

As for this…

there are some spurious chords across the rounded end. I don’t know where they came from, but you should clean them up to avoid issues … Also, the arc you have drawn as a tentative end miter does not match the curvature of the main part

Yeah, so being pretty new to sketchup I downloaded a “quarter round” model and then started modifying and trying to eyeball my own arc for the miter end … when in reality I should have just created it my own. The model I shared with you guys was truly Frankenstein’s Monster.

Happy if that helped. FWIW the method I showed isn’t limited to a single flat cutting face. You could create a curved surface such as for a coped joint. The same process would work for “drilling” a hole through a curved surface or and an angle and in many other situations.

I don’t really thhink a molding like this would be coped but it was the first molding profile I came across.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.