Adding an angle to an end to a complex shape

Hi all, not too familiar with Sketchup. Trying to teach myself with the online tutorials for my full time job. We build custom trade show display booths and I am trying to draw a render of one of the extrusions. I have gotten a pretty good start, but now I need to “miter” a 45 degree angle on each end of the extrusion.

What is the best way to go about this process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I guess the easiest thing would be the follow me tool. A quick search should give plenty of examples.

Shep

Make your extrusion into a component.

Draw a plane using the rectangle tool.

Move then Rotate it to where you want the mitre to be.

Use the Edit/Intersect faces command to create the lines where the mitre face intersects the extrusion.

Erase the outside edges of the rectangle, then window round the intersecting lines, and cut to clipboard.

Open the component for editing.

Edit/Paste in place to put the lines into the context of the component.

The use the Eraser or Select and Delete key to delete the ends of the extrusion outside the mitre.

It’s probaly easier if you make the extrusion longer than you want using PushPull.

Repeat at the other end.

PS. I don’t think the FollowMe tool does what I think the OP wants.

PPS. Can you upload the original SKP file and I’ll try to demonstrate. Use the 7th icon from the left above where you post.

What version of SketchUp are you using? Your profile indicates you are using SketchUp Free (the web-based version) although considering your use, you should be using SketchUp Pro.

Exactly how you handle the cut kind of depends on which version you are using.

Yes, just using the Free version now. I have a new computer coming in tomorrow and we will be downloading Pro… I thought I would familiarize myself with the Free version first before diving right into the Pro version. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m using the free version online, so I don’t think I can save the file out to my server… correct?

I did read that forum, but not quite sure if any of it will work with what I need… Maybe I will wait until I get the Pro version to go further…?

Here’s an example in Free.

Shep

@Shep, where is the mitre on each end?

john

Just for you John

Those aren’t mitres on the ends of the extrusion, though. :wink:

This is mitered on both ends.

Draw a few edges, erase a few and you can have all the miters you desire.

Believe it or not, I know what a miter is.

Shep

but not how to spell it correctly?

john

2 Likes

Shep is spelling it correctly for US English, just as you are for British English. Don’t tease him!

Here’s a little demo showing how to intersect a plane to create the angle. The tools will look slightly different in the free version but the principle is the same.

1 Like

Fantastic simple. :slight_smile:

This is exactly what i was looking for!!! I greatly appreciate your help!!! I ended up downloading Sketchup Pro and it worked fantastically! You’re awesome!