File Locked by another user?

please help. I am the only one using my computer and now when I open some of my files, sketchup tells me its locked by another user and asks if I want to open it as read only. what is causing this and how can I fix it?

thank you.

Although there may be other ways to address this issue, the absolutely easiest way to fix the problem is to simply perform a “Save As” operation where you give the file a different name.

You may then either archive or delete the original file and conduct future edits on the newly named model. This will obviate the file locked by another user condition.

1 Like

thank you. I understand that and it does work. However, is there a something I can do to stop it from doing this with other files? or is it too cumbersome?

Unfortunately, I don’t know the genesis of the behavior you described so I’m unable to suggest an approach to stop the behavior from occurring. Perhaps another forum member may be in a better position to assist you in this regard.

See this topic…

I get that even without the Preview Pane active.

You don’t even need to do a Save As. Simply cancel opening the document via the dialog box and try again. I believe it is a Windows-based error, because it occasionally happens with my Word documents as well.

Unfortunately, this does not work at all for me. Preview Pane is not activated and was never activated. The only workaround that helps is to re-start Windows. What would be okay and fast but this means all other software has to be rebooted as well. Windows 10.

1 Like

I encounter this error always if I use Vray in my rendering, but if I use thea render I didn’t suffer this issue.

1 Like

I am having the same problem. It did seem to start after using Vray……none of the suggestions above worked…HELP!!! :slight_smile:

Press Ctr+Alt+Delete and Open Task Manager or right Click or Task Bar and Choose Task Manager

The Click on Process Tab

scroll and find Sketchup and also Vray in running app list.
In the list, right click on Sketchup and click end Task and also do on Vray.
now re - open sketch and will work.