Feature Request - View Templates in Sketchup

Hi,

I have a section view that looks like this:

This basically indicates what is demolition and what is new. (done with Styles and some tag visibility turned on)

I’ve also created multiple tags with tag groups.

Now I know I can apply the same style to other scenes to get the same effect. But I would need to individually turn on or off the tag groups and some tags to get the same desired effect.

If there was anyway to apply a ‘view template’, directly on the scenes, then this would be a godsend. Because the scene would automatically update with the right style and also the right tag visibility (where some tags are on and some are off).

Hope you guys can ship this in the next version.

(Works similar as View Templates on Revit. Or Layer management in archciad)

The style and the tag visibility settings will carry over from the current scene when you create a new scene. If you want to modify existing scenes to use the same style and tag visibility settings as the current scene, select those scenes to get updated in the Scenes panel. Then click on the Update button and check only Visible Tags and Styles and Fog in the list of Properties to Update. Then click on Update.

Yes, but I would reduce the step of selecting the tags for every scene (and check/uncheck visible tags) if I had this feature. Plus, I keep creating new tags. And I also create new scenes from existing sections and it’s a lot of work checking/unchecking tags.

Maybe I’ll just develop it on my own in ruby when I get the free time.

I already use a plugin called Auto-visible layer On/Off to switch off tags automatically on creation in all scenes. But I need more than this to make Sketchup a better BIM software :smiley:

It sounds like you’re creating a lot of work for yourself due to unorganized workflow.

You should at least explore the existing capabilities with scenes before you reinvent the wheel.

Will do. Thanks Dave

You’ll need to do a few projects first and then hopefully you’ll see some trends - the secret is having a SketchUp (and LayOut) template. The template that I load when I start SU has a half dozen scenes for presentation and another 4-5 for working - plus all my layers and styles. Makes working so much more efficient. So to add scenes I pick one of the ones closest (or an exact match) to what I need - adjust camera, maybe make a few tweaks to Tags, then create new scene. Same goes for adding section planes, etc.

Thanks bmike.
Yes I’ve developed a few templates along the same lines too for the smaller projects.
I was wondering for bigger projects, is it a good idea to have a tag group for each floor?
And then repeat the tags for every floor.

It would be a lot of tags but I’ll have more control over the project.
So essentially,
GF Tag Folder would consist doors, windows, roofs, walls etc
FF Tag Folder again consists doors, windows, roofs, walls etc

What do you think of this system for maybe an apartment project in Sketchup?

I do custom residential and small commercial. I haven’t done multi floor / multi unit residential like you describe, so I’m not sure the best way.

I have tags for floors, but I use this for the actual floor build up, not for everything that one sees on a ‘floor level’ - same for walls. So my template has tags for AF0,AF1,AF2 and then AIW0,AIW1,AIW2 etc. I keep all exterior walls on it’s own layer and all roof on it’s own tag. Same with exterior windows and doors. Interior doors, etc go on the proper AIW tag per level.

Since tags are not really ‘layers’ I wish we could get a multi tagging system. CONDOC tools has it, but it’s not the right system for my workflow.

I am now playing with larger groups and multiple active section plans controlled by scenes - but don’t have this down to a template yet, as I’m still sorting it out. Primarily this is for my shop drawings and not architectural work - but I see potential for it.

1 Like

Depends what your file is for. If it’s to make plans and sections and tech documents, sure, that’s what I would do. tags for categories, tag folders for floors.

I’ve seen the opposite, folders for categories (wall, slabs…) and inside, tags per floor. so you can turn off all the windows at once, or floor by floor. It’s emulating the way archicad (or revit I guess) works, where all you walls are on a wall layer by default and you can show / hide the layer on certain floors.
But we’re not in archicad, and trying to emulate another software at all cost is not necessary the right thing to do.

now if it’s to make scenes and views, then I approach it a bit more like Mike, with a tag per floor (eventually 1 tag for construction stuff and another for decor), but I tag the “outer shell” separately, so when the file is used for context views, the inside is not here.

Funny enough, I would face the same questions while making a model. do I need to remove floors by floors, or do I want a shell for urban context and place floors inside ?
Both. the answer is usually both :slight_smile:

BUT keep in mind that the tag folders are a cosmetic thing, if you import your file they dissapear, if you open in an older version too. unlike tags, they are not hardcoded.

so you need to think of it when naming them. this is what I would use, but you’re free to adapt :

0GF Tag Folder would consist 0doors, 0windows, 0roofs, 0walls etc
1FF Tag Folder again consists 1doors, 1windows, 1roofs, 1walls etc

that way, even if the folder break, all the ground floor tags are together cause they start by 0

Mike has a similar approach, naming by the letter A constructive stuff (I suppose) then the initial (F for floor, W for wall…) and a number

gosh yes. Even being able to just give a second tag could be nice.

Yes, and I often have timber components so:

A-WX exterior walls
A-WI interior walls (with number for level)
A-WD windows doors (exteriors)
A-ENT entourage - people, etc.
A-FND
A-FTR
etc etc.

T are all my timber elements, then I have ‘WO’ for white out planes to limit visibility in section cuts, then X which are used for references (cad files, PDFs, etc) and X-G are guides that I create and lock (complex roof planes, etc)

These are all in folders for quick toggle on off, but I sort them with letter first so my Tag panel is easy to follow.

I then have Scenes that let me toggle between the tag sets depending on what I’m working on - these are set to not update camera, and are layer / section / etc viability toggles. Makes working from exterior shell to timber package quick…

Then of course scenes for presentation.

1 Like