Favorite work flow for modeling corner cabinet with faceframe?

I’ve used Sketchup for years but this project turned out terrible, with all the unintended geometry sticky-ness and stray lines of a beginner…

I’d like to be able to move around with the verticals (styles) as well as overall width of the corner.
I’d also like to have no lines visible separating the stile and rails, upon rendering…

Anyone have a good workflow for creating a model of this corner built in?
Thanks!

of a beginner…

Not sure exactly where the problem comes in. I would model the parts as they’d be built in the shop (using components that could be copied as appropriate) with each stile a component and each rail as well as the the side panels and such. Just stay on top of making components of discrete parts so you don’t have them stuck together.

How are you rendering the model? Rendering applications don’t normally create seam lines between parts so unless you are leaving gaps or not aligning parts (sloppy modeling) there shouldn’t be any visible lines. Here’s an example render. No lines between rails and styles. the only way to see the transition is in the grain direction. With your painted case work, you wouldn’t see any lines.

Really nice rendering/ modeling in that reply!

Here is where some of my problem begins:
In this step, I’d like to copy and paste my base cab section, then trim away the bottom to create “legs” (exposed countertop)…
Is there a safe workflow for this step?

From your screen shot I’d guess that you could use Push/Pull to push out the bottoms.

Why so many exposed back faces? Why are some of the shelves part of the case geometry while others are their own groups/components?

Good question about the shelves getting stuck to cabinet box, be clicking too fast and editing components inadvertently…

From the way your model appears in the screen shot, the straight shelves appear to be part of the case geometry.

All that toiletpaper…

1 Like

As a friend of mine used to say, “you’re a good noticer”.