Fascia will not show

I hate to ask for more help here, however I have been at this for almost an hour and drawing a big fat zero in results. I do not see any reason why I can not get a face to appear. I do believe I am on axis on each line and I do not see any gaps. But there must be something…

Tia
Cvbsbook tree 4.skp (195.3 KB)

The edges need to lie in the same plane to support a face. Yours don’t.

Raise the near corner with the Move tool here and trace one of the edges to get the face. Or maybe easier, redraw it.

Why is the model so far from the origin? I think you’d find it easier to do your modeling if you keep the model closer to the model origin.

Further digging shows you have some weird stuff going on with your components. Are you intended for each of these things to be made form boards?

Take a look at this version. I kept the angles the same but cleaned up the component axis orientations and such.
book tree 4.skp (40.1 KB)

Ok so:

1. I must have fallen asleep during class that showed where to get the numbers showing the “plane “ level. Please enlighten.:thinking:

2. I actually was working this section against a mocked up wall and I moved it to the side to have it be the only thing in the screen

3. The other pieces … I was tinkering with using a set component and modifying the angles and size as I attached. That got to be a major problem when trying to do push pull on the end faces once the angles gets are were cut.

Any other helpful hints you can offer as I continue to add more and different angled boards to my “book (shelf) tree” would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of making this out of 3/4 inch plywood and mounting to the wall. Fastening as you would a free floating shelf!!

All thoughts are greatly appreciated
Thanks again,
Cvbs

If you already have an idea of what the profile of your shelf unit will look like (ie. just a 2D representation of the outer edge, say), you could draw that and then simply extrude the whole thing to give the shelf depth. That wouldn’t split the assembly into discrete parts, but you could do that by drawing in the dividing lines at meeting planes before push/pulling each. You can then make each discrete part a group as you go to ensure they can be manipulated separately. So…almost no numbers needed.

I’m interested to know how you see the assembly staying together. Will you be relying on just glued joints? If so, I can’t see that being strong enough.

That’s done with the Text tool found in the Tools menu. It will give you the coordinates of points in the model if you click on them.

Push/Pull works perpendicular to the faces. As Simon suggests, you could outline the end of each piece on a larger face and pull it out. Make sure that larger face is a component or group first. Then Make sure you make a component of the shelf part before you move on to draw the next one.

If I were modeling this shelf from scratch I would not worry about the bevels where the parts meet until after I have the shelves positioned. Like this:

You can adjust the angles as needed until you’re happy with it and then go back and add in the bevels. The bisector is easily found by connecting the top and bottom points.
Screenshot - 4_14_2021 , 6_33_59 AM

I would start with one component, copy and rotate it and use Make Unique as needed. It’s easy enough to make copies with Move (M) and Rotate (Q) them to the desired angle. Change the length with Push/Pull (P). Once you’ve drawn the first piece those three tools will be all you need until you get to making the bevels.

How will you join the parts together? Biscuits? Dowels? Domino?

Hello lGuys,

Wow. Excellent thoughts. I will give them a try and I may need to come back for hep and what is very reassuring is that you guys will be there.
To answer your about how I was going to attach the sections, Dowel pins and glue.

I am going to try your idea first Dave only because I am not really up on drawing in 2d and how to convert to 3D.
I want to do a cut list and price it out in the end.
Another question… is there a Tool available in Sketchup that will list the angles for each board that will need to be cut?

Appreciating the support!
Cvbs

Dowels and glue should work fine.

You can show the angles in the model using an extension called Angular Dimension 2. It is available from Sketchucation.