"Failed to save file" - no way to save my model

My model does not want to save. When saving it says every time: “Failed to save file”. The same hapens if I try to download the model to my computer to the .skp file. My last working .skp file is 256MB big. I tried to purge the components and materials, but it did not help.

I am a high school student and model a house for a students’ competition.

Is the model too big? Or what can I do to contnue my work and save it?

I have had the same problem and lost hours of work.
Try this:
Down load the .skp file to your computer BBUUTT select 2020, 2019 or older. This seems to work.
Saving to 2021 gives you the ‘failed to save…’ as you have observed.
Then at your next session you have to ‘import’ the model again, but at least you have saved your work.
(this problem has just happened again to me today).
Let’s hope they fix this soon.

I’m having the same problem. Just started today. I purged unused components. Didn’t help. User since 2003 but I’m using the web version now. Strangest thing. Ive tried saving as something else. doesn’t let me. I am in danger of losing a few hours of work. Well, actually, I already lost it. I tried Safari and it didn’t save. So I tried Firefox, which crashes, and Chrome, which won’t save either. I refuse to try Edge. Call me grumpy. Strange but when I close it and then navigate to it, it says it was modified today. But when I open it, it is definitely not modified.

i’ve the same problem

As @daver said, please don’t post twice.

Did anyone find a solution to this? I’m experiencing it right now, lost hours of work and losing more time trying to sort it out… My file is only 1.1 MB

Can you please give us more details?

Sure, don’t know what details though. When I make changes to the model, I keep getting messages that the autosave failed. If I click “save” or try to “save as”, I get a popup “app.sketchup.com says” with content “Failed to save file.” and OK button to click…

Hope it helps…

Try purging unused components and materials from your model. What browser are you using?

Can you download the file to your computer?

Your profile shows your graphics card as “Irrelevant.” That’s actually not true. Please correct that.

I already tried purging and makes no difference. Using latest Chrome, tired also Edge with the same result. All worked fine about a month or two ago, have been using Web Sketchup on this PC for ages. All broke a day or two before my post (I thought it’s some technical issues at the service at first but it didn’t go away).
I can download the SKP if I choose the 2020 version, when trying to save as 2021 I get “An error occurred while downloading the model”.
The graphics cards in my laptop are Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

Well do that at least so you will have a saved version somewhere to not loose work. You can alway upload it back to Free

If you can share the model with us, we can try and reproduce the issues.

It’s not a problem with a specific model. I’ve got multiple models in the cloud storage and can’t save any of those. I even thought there could be a space issue and deleted some large ones but still no luck.

@esiekq what is your user id? I would like to see if there are any crash logs from your account.

How do I check my user id? I log in via Google but don’t really want to publish my email address but it’s extremely easy to guess…
Anyway - the funny thing is that it fixed itself. I took the @endlessfix’s suggestion to work on my file and download a local copy every now and then. After few hours, the autosave fail message stopped appearing every 10 minutes, I didn’t even notice. When I finished the work I clicked “save as” and the save was successful out of the blue. No idea what happened there and why it broke down for few weeks but all is good now. I even thought clearing cookies/website cache could have fixed it but to late to try now. Thanks everyone for your help - especially @endlessfix

1 Like

Hi there, seems a long time ago someone encountered this, I have this same problem right now.
I have tried all suggestions previously mentioned, still no luck.
Hope someone can help, thank you.