Failed read rbe/rbs file


Ok, I have seen this issue posted many times and many places. I have yet to find a solution that works for me, and all of the links I have found end without anyone posting that they have found a solution for them. I’ve been having the same problem since SU 2017, and I am posting what looks like the same startup errors that I have seen over and over again. Any brilliant new solutions?

Error Loading File C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_ProfileBuilder2/pb_load.rbe
Failed to read RBE/RBS file.
Error Loading File C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_ProfileBuilder3/langhandler.rbe
Failed to read RBE/RBS file.
Error Loading File DM_ProfileBuilder3.rb
Error: #<NameError: uninitialized constant DM::ProfileBuilder3::DMLanguageHandler>
C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_ProfileBuilder3.rb:11:in <module:ProfileBuilder3>' C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_ProfileBuilder3.rb:6:inmodule:DM
C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/DM_ProfileBuilder3.rb:5:in `<top (required)>’
Error Loading File C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcloader.rbe
Failed to read RBE/RBS file.
Error Loading File C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox/sandboxmenus.rbe
Failed to read RBE/RBS file.
Error Loading File C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/su_trimble_connect/boot.rbe
Failed to read RBE/RBS file.


To me these errors suggest that you might have installed SketchUp incorrectly.
In such cases file/folder permissions can be flaky and cause unpredictable issues…

Here is the correct way to install/repair your installation.
You should be logged into your normal Windows user’s account [i.e. “Gabriel”]
Exit SketchUp if it’s open.
Find the SketchUp installer’s exe file - in your Downloads folder ?
Select its icon.
Right-click > context-menu > “Run as administrator”…
When prompted choose “Repair”.
[If it’s a fresh installation choose “Install”…]
Restart SketchUp and see if the issue repeats…

Installing any complex app like SketchUp in any other way will ultimately lead to unexpected issues…
e.g. Never double-click the installer’s exe file to Run it - even if you have admin-powers it is NOT the same thing as using the correct “Run as administrator” method…


I have tried this several times. I agree that it looks like an incorrect install. I have also tried uninstalling the whole thing and reinstalling. I am sure there are some files I need to uninstall manually as well, and I probably missed them.


The user’s …/SketchUp/…/Plugins/ folder etc might have its permissions skewed by the earlier installation.
A full uninstall will leave the folder in place - especially if you have custom extensions installed.
Find the C:/Users/Gabriel/AppData/Roaming/ folder
It’s hidden by default, but using the full path in a Windows Explorer window should get you to it.
Find the enclosed SketchUp/ folder.
Right-click on its icon > Properties > Security > Edit
Ensure every entry has unlimited [Full Control] set up.
Allow the changes to permeate down to all contained subfolders and their files etc…

I suspect that your current settings are preventing SketchUp from fully accessing files in the Plugins subfolder etc…

After that try rerunning the Installer exe in right-click “Run as administrator” mode, and choose Repair [which will hopefully then work !] - finally restart SketchUp to see what happens…


All of the permissions were set properly, and I followed all of the steps several times to make certain that I wasn’t missing anything. I finally tried again to uninstall SU and start clean, but I was unable to completely uninstall SketchUp and all the files that kept causing problems. Out of frustration I performed a wipe on the whole computer (after I backed up all of my files, of course) and reinstalled everything. I was pretty sure that it was a Windows problem, and I was right. SketchUp runs fine now, and all of the errors are gone. I certainly wouldn’t recommend this as the first solution, but if all else fails…