Extension of a roof

Hi
I would like to extend a part of my roof. Because it is at an angel I do not know how to manage this problem. Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Chris

That depends on your roof. Sometimes a left to right crossing will work.

Could you upload your model?

You might have to post a few more times before the forum lets you do that.

The problem here is that there is not enough information to go on. Is the angle you refer to on plan or in elevation? Is your roof gabled, hipped, flat, lean-to, etc?

Similarly, is the nature of the problem that you don’t know how to draw it or how to design it (there is a difference)?

Check out this site for learning: The learning Center. Then try these videos: SketchUp Skill Builder: Hip Roof or Constructability modeling with SketchUp: Roof modeling

Thanks for your answers so far. Watched the videos but couldn´t find a solution. Now I uploaded my model and a picture which will hopefully :blush: show you what I want to do.

Thnank
Chris

Terrasse k.skp (242.5 KB)
scan0081.pdf (768.0 KB)

If I’m correctly understanding what you mean, there may be an issue. You can create guidelines along the top and bottom edges of the rake by activating the tape measure tool and double clicking on the edges. The lower one passes through the flat roof below, unlike your image which appears to pass on or above the flat. Did you expect that?

Screen Shot 2020-03-07 at 11.37.09 AM

Yes I did realize that.

So, you want the extended roof to cut through the flat roof?

Edit: like this?

extend roof

:grinning:We did already. IT CAN´T BE THAT EASY: Thank you so much.

As a helpful suggestion, you need to learn to use groups and components. At this point your model is all “loose” edges and faces in the global model context. As such, they stick to each other wherever they touch. Sooner or later you are likely to get into trouble when you try to edit one edge or face and it affects adjacent ones in ways you didn’t intend. Groups and Components are how you prevent this from happening in SketchUp.

1 Like

Roofs (sloped surfaces) are one of the trickiest things to get at first, going into 3d. In some cases you fall back to 2d skills to solve it, but there are numerous techniques that you’ll pick up, and find it is really easy. Groups and components and tags are good. At first (on a simpler level) try grouping the roof parts (maybe flat roof and pitched separately) and wall parts. Because as you see, when you make this connection you’ll have separate work to do on each of these parts and when you run them together the edges and faces will “stick” and interfere with each other.