Export to Non-ASCII FBX

I made a 3d model and I exported it to FBX, so I could work with it in blender, but whenever I try to import it it says FBX ASCII isn’t supported. Is there a way to change the type of FBX export? I’ve also tried to export it as an obj, but if I do that the model apears as one complete object, so I can’t work with the different materials and faces.
I also tried to export it as a Collada file but it has some errors as shown in the image.
Sorry if these may be really dumb problems, I’m new with sketchup.
I also added the SKP file in case it can be useful.

Lavabo1.skp (150.6 KB)

Read this about FBX:

It’s funny that we’ve had a few FBX related questions in the last couple of days!

Here is another solution for you. This Autodesk FBX converter can take in SketchUp export FBX files and give you a binary FBX file that imports ok into Blender.

https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/platform-technologies/fbx-converter-archives

Hello, I know that Autodesk FBX Converter can make it ASCII to Binary,
but why Sketchup doesn’t support exporting to binary?
I think this is very long-term issue until now. :thinking:

And plus, there are “scale” issues while exporting to FBX.

I don’t know about that as I am not SketchUp, but binary is proprietary to Autodesk and there is no official published spec.

SkeytchUp always exports with units you are using in your model. There are no scale issues if you set the importer in the receiving application to use the same units.

If you are saving to FBX to then use in Unity, you could take the SKP into Unity instead. They haven’t kept up to date with SKP support, but if you save as a 2019 file it should import into Unity ok.

1 Like