Export shortcuts file from windows to mac

Hi everybody, well the title say’s everything.

I wanna export my shortcuts file of my Sketchup Pro 2018 from a PC to the same Sketchup but in Mac, my I mac just have not the option to import it as the PC.

This is a screenshot from Imac preferences in the shortcut’s tab.

And, this is the same image form my PC.
Inside the red circle the options to export and import, in Mac there is no options.

Thanks and greetings.

The way SketchUp saves the shortcut settings is changed with version 2018. They are now in a .json file located in your Appdata folder (C:\Users\ USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp\SharedPreferences.json)

I have not tried, but you could try to replace the whole file to your Mac and put it in your user application support folder (~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018

@MikeWayzovski is basically correct. SketchUp for Mac has never had the export and import buttons because the shortcuts have always been stored in a user-accessible plain-text plist file on the Mac, unlike in Windows where they historically were only in the Registry.

As of 2018 the shortcuts are now kept in that json file on both Windows and Mac. However, the contents of the file are separated into “Windows Only” and “Mac Only” sections, and each OS will ignore the items in the section for the other one. If you take the json file from a Windows computer, the “Mac Only” section will be empty. Alas, the keyboard shortcuts are in the section for the source computer and I think they won’t affect anything if you simply copy the file across. I don’t have ready access to a Windows SketchUp right now to check whether it would work to just copy-paste the shortcuts list from the Windows Only to the Mac Only section or if there is a difference in the coding.

1 Like

In that case, copy-pasting is more a hassle then adding them manuallly, I guess!

Yes, but my problem is that I am continuously using different computers, of my partners.

You could create a Mac file and a Windows file and use the appropriate one. Frankly, if you sat down at my computer and changed my keyboard shortcuts, I’d never let you touch my computer again.

That’s I good solution, I did not thing on that, and yes I think the same about the shortcuts, but my partners are still learning SU, so I’m trying to teach them, and if they want, the way I use it.

If they want to learn SketchUp, give them a list of your shortcuts and let them learn how to add them and give them the choice to choose their own shortcuts if they want.

I have a USB-stick with me all the time… With the .json files and an export of the regedit settings:
Some settings still are managed in the register. Type ‘regedit’ in Windows->Start

Export the settings of the workspace (or the whole SketchUp 2018 folder: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018)

I use it to set the machines in our trainings centre the same (Trays and position toolbars etc.)

Windows machines only, though…

You can use the same json file on Windows.and Mac, it’s just that some parts of the preferences must be set on both to get all parts of the file filled in.

1 Like