Explode a model for 2d layout dimensioning by part

Hello,
I created a model in sketchup I plan on building in the shop.
I need a picture catalogue of the parts, each with relative size to each other, that I can orient them in any (2D) fashion (rotate, move up, down, left, right flip/mirror).
These parts include OSB sheets, several 2x4’s, 2x6’s, and 1x2’s, and various others.
Each part needs to be cut to various angles and dimensions depending on the application. I need each of these parts to be relative in size to each other. This will help when I cut a store bought OSB sheet to pieces. I would like to be able to arrange the 2d “pieces” of OSB from my model, on top of a “full size” sheet of OSB, to determine the least wasteful, way of cutting the sheet.
I would like to see a 2d list of each of these parts on layout.

Will layout do this?
how can I do this using Layout?

Please let me know how, or where, I can improve my clarity to benefit your answer.

Thank you much,
-MDA

LayOut can help you but you will need to arrange the parts and make appropriate scenes with the camera set to Parallel Projection. I do this sort of thing frequently for furniture and other pieces I model. Every part I’d make in the shop is a component (not a group) and after making the assembled version of the project, the entire model gets copied to one side to make the needed exploded views. I also make copies to use for the 2D views as needed. After I create the appropriate scenes showing the views I want, I make the plan in LayOut. There I add dimensions, labels and other notes as well as a cutlist using the CutList extension from the 3D Warehouse.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.