Error with elliptical dome after Outer Shell

I have 2 groups

1. brewing vessel with elliptical dome. Solid inspector2 OK
  2. tube Solid inspector 2 OK

I move the tube and connect it to the elliptical vessel
Solid inspector2 on both connected groups OK

I run the Outer Shell tool and the result produces a hole in the top part of the dome
Of course Solidinspector2 returns an error.
Picture 2

Could someone please explain what’s going on ?

Jacques

If you upload the model we’ll have a better chance of determining the problem and its solution. You may omit some necessary detail from your description simply because you didn’t know it was relevant.

-Gully

Scale it up by 10 or 100 and try again. Looks like a tiny faces issue.

2 Likes

first , thank you Gully and Box for taking some of your valuable time trying to help
Box: The brewing vessel is for a 1/120 scale model railroad layout so It is already scaled up by a factor of 1000. so should I scale it by a factor of 100 before using the outer shell tool or should I restart everything from zero and recreate the 2 objects with a scaling factor of 100000 ?

Gully, could you please indicate the link about how to upload a model ?

Yesterday was my 1st post so I was allowed only 1 picture.
Now is the picture before I run the Outer Shell tool and everything looks OK

Jacques

-Gully

Most likely the same button you used to add the image. You can also just drag and drop files into the message box and they will upload.

In principle I would model everything to full scale, even if the ultimate goal is to create a scale model.
To me the problem seems to be the insane amount of geometry you are using to model something that in the end will be a tiny detail. If the model is going to be 3D printed to 1/120 scale the print will still be much more coarse and if you used the standard 24 segment circles instead of a zillion there would be no difference in the final output.

Anssi

1 Like

Gully and Box, thank you for the info about uploading files.

Anssi, I designed the vessel with 256 sides for the circles , being a newbie I"m overcautious :smile:

Right now I’m starting allover again with 32 sides for the circles.I"ll let you know about the result.

Regards
Jacques

All right, I redesigned the brewing vessel with 32 sides for the circles.

No Errors
Everything is Shiny
** :smile: **

My brewing vessel is now manifold and " beertight " .

Thank’s again for helping