Error Msg: Sorry. we encountered a problem with your web browser's webgl support

I hate posting a new topic for what appears to be an ongoing issue, but I cannot tell by the post dates of the other threads on this problem whether or not this issue is being fixed or if it is still ongoing.

• Platform: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
  • CPU: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Browser: Chrome, Version 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit) - most recent version as of 11/11/2018

Troubleshooting Steps:

• chrome://flags/ – WebGL Draft Extensions - enabled
  • Browser History, Cache, Cookies - all cleared
  • Reset all browser settings
  • Get the same error in standard and incognito session
  • https://get.webgl.org/ - When I go to that website – Hmm. While your browser seems to support WebGL, it is disabled or unavailable. If possible, please ensure that you are running the latest drivers for your video card.
  • Sketchup Web (Free) works fine in Safari. (but I hate Safari)

A lot of the online forums that address this issue mentions upgrading my graphics card drivers. macOS does not allow a user to update just graphics card browsers as far as I know. They are all updated with a full OS update etc. Also… if it is graphic card drivers then why is it that I can access everything fine in Safari, but just not in Chrome?

Has any progress been made on this, considering Google and Trimble are together?

As points of info, Google sold SketchUp to Trimble several years ago and has had no further connection with SketchUp since then. Trimble and Google are separate, unrelated companies. Also, the current official name for the web-based version is “SketchUp Free”.

However, it seems to me that the heart of your issue isn’t really with SketchUp Free, but with the implementation of Chrome on your specific Mac hardware and macOS version. As support for that statement, I offer 1) the fact that SketchUp Free runs ok on your Safari (which eliminates the idea that it is a matter of driver or graphic adapter), 2) the fact that the webgl.org test also fails, and 3), that both SketchUp Free and the webgl test site you linked run fine on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina with the same macOS and Chrome versions as you list.

Have you tried inquiring on Google and Chrome support forums?

I did not know that Google was no longer part of Trimble. I though Googlet bought Sketchup from Trimble, like 15 years ago or so.

That was why I came to the Sketchup form instead of Google or Chrome support. My thought was that since the specificity order would go Google > Chrome > Sketchup, I’d go right to Sketchup. But now that I know Google is out of the picture, I deffinitely agree that the issue is not with Sketchup, but with Chrome, or my particular machine and Chrome.

Carry on everyone. Nothing to see here. :slight_smile:

Google was never part of Trimble. They’ve always been separate companies.

No. Google bought SketchUp from a company called @Last Software in March of 2006. When Google had no more use for SketchUp, they would have let it die like many other programs they bought and killed. Trimble stepped up almost 8-1/2 years ago and purchased SketchUp from Google.

Continuing the discussion from Error Msg: Sorry. we encountered a problem with your web browser's webgl support:

I’ve just started to have this issue. Would love a solution. I could use Safari as a work around for now. I’d prefer Chrome because my school is all Google all the time and GAFE seems smoother in Chrome. Could the problem be Chrome? Has there been changes to how it handles WebGL recently that could be causing this?

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.