Episode 6: SketchUp for Woodworking

Great presentation, and the live demo was especially great. I love seeing how other people work, though I’m a bit scared by presnting live modeling myself.

2 Likes

very nice presentation. thanks for all your tip and tricks

1 Like

No problem! I’m glad I could share :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you ever used Sketchup to model projects destined for a wood lathe? Am new to this program, but it seems to have the potential to visual turned objects

1 Like

Done. Great presentation. Thanks for putting it on.

@LiveEdgeKate another great presentation.
You did so well on the live modeling!

2 Likes

I have on occasion. Look into the ‘Follow Me’ functionality, and you can create any sort of lathed form you’d like.

1 Like

Indeed it does. I use it all the time for turned stuff like the parts of this spinning wheel.

1 Like

Yes! The best way to do that is to draw your profile on a rectangle that’s a section of a circle, then draw your profile and use the follow-me tool. But save a copy of that profile for after, or just use a section cut to create the profile shape and print it life size to follow on the lathe.

2 Likes

Hiya Katie, Have you tried using a Spacemouse? It looks like it would speed up the process. Aaron uses one. They ain’t cheep though. Cheers, Steve

And she made the lower surface disappear unnoticed so that Aaron would not feel so bad :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I have yes! I have a small one but just haven’t ever really gotten used to it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that easy way to start using sketchup for turning!

1 Like

No problem!

1 Like

If anyone is interested in Segmented Turning there is a program to help measure the segments and angles.

http://www.segmentedturning.com/software.htm

1 Like

Thanks so much for your presentation Katie. There is so much great information there I think I will have to watch it several times. And you did not seem nervous at all. All the best, Steve Stewart

Wow, that’s awesome! Thanks for the tips.

1 Like

One more question crossed my mind if you come back to it: When you photograph wood as a raw material it has one look, but when it’s finished, it’s usually at least a little darker if not noticeably darker. Do you ever modify the image to represent the finished look?

(I think I may have asked @DaveR this same question)

2 Likes

Did I answer you? :smiley:

1 Like