Episode 6: SketchUp for Woodworking

Thanks!

1 Like

I think so, but I donā€™t recall a clear answer. I suppose I could use the search function.

Edit: A lot of times when looking at samples in person, Iā€™ve seen people spread water over the sample to simulate itā€™s finished look, with stone as well as wood.

1 Like

No problem!

Yeah, I definitely havenā€™t been using components muchā€¦they seem like a lot of work when Iā€™m trying to move quickly so I usually just group things. Now, I see why components are the better choice!

1 Like

Sometimes yes. We usually wet the slabs with a little bit of water after milling prior to photographing so the colouring is closer to the look of finished wood. But if I have a photograph of dry unfinished wood Iā€™ll often pop it in photoshop and use the linear burn setting on the paintbrush with a light umber colour on about 35% opacity to make it look finished

4 Likes

Itā€™s not so bad! If you get used to using the keyboard shortcut G, it creates your components even faster than making a group, then you can go and grab them in the future from your components list.

I replied to your earlier question! Itā€™s easy in photoshop if you know what settings to use, and I put a screenshot and instructions in the other answer. But wetting the wood does work if you can get at it to take another picture :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s great! So, both ways really (digitally and physically).