Episode 6: SketchUp for Woodworking

Post your Ep.6 questions or share your thoughts about the episode inside this thread by hitting reply. One question per reply. Katie Mcllveen will be live and available to answer your questions 30 minutes after the show.

Show time: 2020-10-21T18:00:00Z2020-10-21T19:30:00Z
Fireside Lounge (right here): 2020-10-21T19:30:00Z2020-10-21T20:00:00Z

Ep6-KatieMcllveen-Crowdcast (1)

3 Likes

This was the first useful application I have seen for the freehand tool, finally the tool has a purpose! :wink:

4 Likes

You should try the weld function of Curvizard (Fredo6), you only need to select one segment and the plugin searches the associated edges very reliably, which saves a lot of selection time.

5 Likes

Katie, thank you!

Have you used TIG’s Component Descriptor?

Thanks for mentioning the thing about Solid Tools, too. :wink:

1 Like

Cool!! I’ll check it out for sure!

2 Likes

Katie, do you have some recommendations on how to do build some layout templates like you used today? They were awesome!

1 Like

It’s an odd one for sure, not too many uses but totally invaluable for this!

1 Like

Katie, great presentation you have a great workflow with SketchUp. Have a great day, and Thank You again.
Larry

1 Like

I’d say start with your Sketchup template and get that nicely set up first. It’s your foundation. If it’s messy then your layout will give you troubles. From there, just go a page at a time! Setting up your text styles and dimensions styles and such at the very beginning is also key. Use a dummy model in your sketchup template to make sure everything is positioned where it should be in the layout template then delete it later

4 Likes

Sorry for distracting everyone, but please let us know your thoughts on today’s Fireside Chat episode. Fill out our event survey here:
Fireside Chat Series Survey
(It takes 2 minutes…I promise!) :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I haven’t, but I’ll check it out! There are so many extensions I have a hard time wading through them :laughing:

2 Likes

Gotcha. I’ve tried using Layouts before…but always just ended up using section planes and such with different views (or completely different files) to achieve what I needed to show someone. It’s great to know that Layouts can be used so powerfully.

How were you able to have a tab in Sketchup that showed the “exploded” view while not affecting the actual main drawing?

1 Like

Thanks! It’s been years of honing. I’m so glad I could share it with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I take the piece apart bit by bit and put all of those exploded parts on the tag that’s exclusive to the exploded view. (JFAddlayer is amazing for isolating tags). Then hide the parts that are part of the main model and update the exploded scene. then they will only show up there and not mess with everything else!

2 Likes

@twingotango its a copy of the goemetry, not the same table

3 Likes

Well Katie, I teach SketchUp at the College here in Vancouver, WA. and I have my own business teaching SketchUp also and I have to say you work in SketchUp and speak very well. Please feel free to connect with me at lzent@clark.edu if you ever need anything. Have a great day.
Larry

2 Likes

Correct, it’s copies of the components just on a different tag so that if I change anything on the actual table then those will update too. Components are your best friend!

3 Likes

Thanks Larry! I’m glad my nervousness didn’t show too much :laughing:

1 Like

Katie, I feel that way every time I start a class. It hasn’t ever gone away. :slight_smile:

1 Like