Sketchup for Woodworking

New to sketchUp. Using the free trial. I am presented with a silhouette of a man. I cant do anything nor can i figure out how to get to woodworking. Any help appreciated.

Which version of SketchUp are you using? Are you using the free web based version or did you download and install SketchUp 2018 Pro? Your profile seems to indicate both.

You can certainly model woodworking projects in the template with the figure. Delete it if you want before you start or using him as a guide to size. Or you can choose the Woodworking template. If you are using SketchUp Pro 2018 and you have SketchUp open, you can go to the Help menu, click on Welcome and then go to the Template tab. Choose the Woodworking template and click OK. Then start a new file.

If you are using the web based version there isn’t a “woodworking” template but that won’t stop you from doing your modeling.

As for using the tools, take some time to go through the fundamentals,here.

Scaramouch, Scaramouch will you do the Fandango
Couldn’t resist.

5 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the response. good advise. I am using the web version. I believe I said 2018 because I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to go back and look while trying to ask my question. Good information from the link. I will probably just buy 2018 pro. Not too expensive, looks good, and I won’t be fumbling as much.
Thank again!

1 Like

Good chuckle.

You’re welcome.

If you’re going to buy SketchUp Pro, you would be looking at SketchUp 2019.

If you feel any need to see if SketchUp actually can be used for woodworking, you might take a look here.

Can you put the guy back in the picture if you have deleted him ?

Yes. Drag him in from the Components window. If you haven’t purged him from the In Model components, he’ll still be found there. Otherwise you can get him from the Components Sampler.

Dave
those pics are crazy amazing !

1 Like

Thanks
Not sure if I want / need him but its always good to know how to do things