Episode 4: SketchUp for Illustration

Post your Ep.4 questions or share your thoughts about the episode inside this thread by hitting reply. One question per reply. Rodrigo Cerci will be live and available to answer your questions 30 minutes after the show.

Fireside Chat: 2020-10-07T18:00:00Z2020-10-07T19:30:00Z
Fireside Lounge (right here): 2020-10-07T19:30:00Z2020-10-07T20:00:00Z

Ep4-RodrigoCerci-Crowdcast

3 Likes

Is this happening going to happen? Clicking on the image only opens the image - there is no link to Crowdcast?

2 Likes

Hello Anssi, the Fireside Lounge happens directly after the episode. To watch the live episode today on Crowdcast, go to Fireside Chat Series - Episode 4: SketchUp for Digital Art - Crowdcast

See you on the chat board! :fire:

2 Likes

Great job Rodrigo, thank you so much!

2 Likes

Hey Bigo :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for an awesome talk.

I was wondering… can you talk about the process you would take to get these kind of images: bigo on Instagram: "VIK01_det2 #lowpoly #gamedesign #characterdesign #3d #illustration #graphicdesign #design #render #inspiration #sketchup #photoshop"

Starting with modelling in SU and then what? Render in Lumion? Or Blender? Then Photoshop? Did the white lines come from SU?

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Thanks, Rodrigo, this was really cool! Please share your shortcut list

2 Likes

Thanks for been here Ldzent! :smiley:

1 Like

You were awesome, my pleasure. ldzent@gmail.com
Larry Zent

2 Likes

Rodrigo, Have you ever considered posting your 3D models online for people to 3D print or download and play with?

Rodrigos shortcuts:

7 Likes

thanks!

2 Likes

Hey fisilk! Thanks for the question,

for this model i do all the modeling within SketchUp, i pose the character and setup the camera in SketchUp too. At the time of this model i used Vray for rendering. Than i get the image channels and put them together in Photoshop! The dark and white lines comes from SketchUp ( dark lines are profiles, and white are the lines) if you put your model in view>face style>monochrome and set the background to be white, you can export these lines to Photoshop!

1 Like

you’re the best Larry! i missed your presentation in 2018 :frowning: but i watched it over on youtube!)

1 Like

Rodrigo, thanks. Regarding using flat colors. Not sure if you are familiar with Fredo6’s FredoTools toolbar. If not, it includes a ColorPaint tool in which you can create and save various color palettes to use for a project. I think it would be helpful to speed-up coloring with various tints of a color.

6 Likes

OH MY GOD. jclements thattss huuuugeee!! i did not know that!
Thanks a loooot!!!

1 Like

How big was your biggest print of one of your fantastic pictures and how many did you have hanging in your house?

2 Likes

Oh thanks! I thought that was the case with the white lines :slight_smile:

I’ve been learning VRay, but sometimes people recommend Lumion - what are the differences to you? Do you think it makes a big difference for people who just create static images as opposed to animations? (I do landscape design so just create views to show a design to a client)

2 Likes

Amazing presentation Rodrigo!

You reminded me of a little hack I once used for moving parts quickly around a joint with the move tool and a hidden circle. Maybe you’ll find it useful too!? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I loved your presentation. Working with limitations brings to my mind my first Macintosh Plus and the MacPaint that came with it. Black and white only, but just because of that it was very fun to work with, and exploring the patterns that could be created with a 8x8 pixel grid.

2 Likes