Episode 4: SketchUp for Illustration

cotty! hahaha actually man, i’m in a new home right now and i have no pictures hanging here yet :frowning: but i have a bunch printed! the biggest one is 1m x 60cm

2 Likes

man if you are into landscape design i would try Lumion! Because lumion apart from being a render software it also have a big library of objects you can populate your scene with, and it’s waaay easier to learn and work than Vray, for this case at least.

1 Like

ohh man! thanks for sharing this! this is an awesome trick! never used it like this! i’ll definitely give it a try!

2 Likes

Hiya Rodrigo, Thank you for the great presentation! Do you use a Space Mouse? All the best, Steve Stewart

1 Like

Hey Steve!! Actually i never used Space Mouse, i know Aaron use it and he say good things about it!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for droping by Anssi! Yeah i love that kind of thing, how to work whitin set of limitations. Game design is filleed with smart solutions to overcome problems with simple solutions!

1 Like

Yay! Keep it simple! It is the best!

1 Like

Rodrigo, could you tell us again which Apps you use the most? Like SketchUp, Photoshop etc.?

1 Like

Have you tried Twinmotion?

2 Likes

The tools that i use the most and their uses:
-SketchUp (modeling and texturing)
-Blender (rigging, texturing, UVs, animation, more advanced modeling when needed)
-Photoshop (for montages, textures, and concepts)
-Unity (the realtime engine we use for making games and realtime stuff!)
-Git (for files versioning {for game design mostly})

1 Like

marakony, i never did, but i think Epic bought Twinmotion and they are developing it now, which is a pretty good sign!

1 Like

Yeah that is a cool trick! Makes the group automatically centred. Good idea - thanks!

2 Likes

Ohh I’d been wondering about that but wasn’t sure my brain could take another piece of software…! But if it’s easier than VRay I think it probably could :wink:

2 Likes

give it a try Fiona! i think maybe that would be better for your use!

1 Like

Just a heads up! there is a little trick to setup the Zoom Selection shortcut.
To find the shortcut in the list you actually have to have something selected, if you don’t the shortcut will not apear in the list!

2 Likes

Rodrigo:
There is also ThruPaint which is contained in FredoTools. It allows you to paint the facets of a grouped object (without opening the group) whether or not their edges are visible or smoothed. You can use it simultaneously with ColorPaint.
https://www.screencast.com/t/Ge90AzyorCz

Also consider FredoPortrait. It might benefit you as it saves various camera angles, aspect ratios, and can export images with different formats as well as generate 2D components.

Overview:

Generate 2D Components:

4 Likes

Those look really good, many thanks!

Rodrigo, thank you and I hope you enjoyed it. It has been so much fun teaching and working in SketchUp. I teach at a Community College here in Washington state and I have my own SketchUp teaching company too. I have been teaching SketchUp for about 10-years now and it is still so much fun.

I really think you have a great style and did a great show today! Please keep in touch and feel free to reach out and keep in touch. Have a great day.
Larry Zent

jclements! thats really cool! i didn’t know about these Fredo6 tools, i’ll give it a try, they seem very helpful for what i do1!