SU Pro allows you to put a restricted set of HTML in the predefined “Description” field in the Component Options box.
I wanted my “Description” to have some angle brackets surrounding some of it:
First, I tried just typing them, then I realized that SU saw the left angle bracket (aka “less than” sign) as the beginning of an html tag. So I tried replacing it with “
<”. At first, it seemed to work just as I wanted it to. But then, I went back into the description to put another word in angle brackets - and my first word disappeared! Here’s an animation:
Component Description Field and Entities.mp4 (2.0 MB)
It appears to me that, if I put an HTML Entity (ampersand-code-semicolon) into the description, SU displays it correctly, replacing the entity with what it represents. But SU ALSO replaces the entity with what it represents in the Description field! So the NEXT time you edit the field, it again interprets the left angle bracket as the beginning of an HTML tag!
So EVERY time you edit the Description field, you must replace ALL left angle brackets you want to appear verbatim with the
It’s not nice behavior. However, since entities aren’t listed as “allowed” in Dynamic Components supported HTML tags help article, I suppose (charitably) that using entities even once is just an undocumented feature - thus (charitably again) making this issue --not-- a bug.
I’m going to work around it for now - by keeping a notepad window open where I’ll compose and edit my Description, then copy/paste the entire description into the Component Description field - replacing all the previous content - every time I need to make an edit.
PS: I tried to embed the attached animation so that it actually displayed for you, but couldn’t figure out how to do it. Suggestions are welcome, but please reply as a linked topic!