I’m in the process of creating some dynamic kitchen cabinetry that is adjustable in width and animate opening and closing with the interact tool.
I have come around to creating the double drawer unit and have hit a problem that I can’t understand.
The dynamic component is constructed of a number of groups, not components, as I found that using components created issues when changing widths between repeated units. Whether or not this is wrong to do I am not sure but, until now, it has been an easier process creating these dynamic units out of grouped items.
These grouped items are almost all dynamic in both size and position. The left panel knows it should be 1.6cm wide and in a certain position. The right panel knows it should be 1.6cm wide and in a position relative to the size of the unit etc. I have gone through this process for hinged door units without a problem but now I have reached a problem with ‘nested’ dynamic components.
I’ve made a drawer unit that has a group which, itself, contains grouped items. The grouped items in the ‘nested’ group get their size and position from the total size of the group, and the group itself gets it’s size from the ‘parent’ group. I hope I’ve explained that well enough.
This has led to unexplainable, seemingly glitchy, behavior. Attached is an image showing what can happen if you resize the dynamic component from it’s standard, 1200mm, size to 600mm. At first the drawers are resized correctly but after clicking the drawers, which use the ANIMATE function, they become 1200mm wide again. Note that, despite the fact that the width would actually be measured as 1200mm the width is still displayed as 600mm.
The drawer, in this case, is being drawn at 1200mm wide despite being a group whose width is matching the parent. If I go in to the component attributes after this has all messed up
What is strange is this is actually intermittent. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t. You can sometimes fix it by forcing a redraw and sometimes you can’t.
I should explain that I’ve seen other, weird, issues like this pertaining to dynamic components and supposed sizes but have restarted the program to get rid of them. From my perspective the program seems glitchy but I am not sure whether or not I am doing something wrong.
I have attached the component in question so if anyone could have a look at it that would be amazing.
Thanks for the help!
S1 Double Drawer Base Unit.skp (53.4 KB)