Is there a bug within 2016 and dynamic components?

I am fairly new to creating my own dynamic components, but I am having a hell of a time trying to get them to work correctly. Something as simple as moving a drawer in and out… may come out but not return, yet when you watch it within its own formula its changing.

Any help would be great as I have a presentation Monday and hoping to knock it out the park.

Thx. Matt

Very likely it has to do with how you made the component. Maybe you could share it so we could take a look and see how you created it.

New to the forum… How can I add my file? Is it through upload?
Test Cab.skp (205.6 KB)

Let me know if this works?

Some issues.

• I have the top drawer working but when I try and do the same to the lover drawers everything get effected and doesn’t work.
  • on-click ANIMATE(RotZ,180,90) for the door. For instants if you (“RotZ”,180,90) it doesn’t work and I was taught this to be correct.

so close…

Test Cab.skp (196.4 KB)

Thanks for that… Much appreciated.

Can you help me understand as to what I had done wrong? and why does Drawer 2 have ( Size LenY) and the others do not?

Again that for the help.

the animation is to consider the movement in the y direction so only position of “Y” required, the size “LenY” is not required to change. you can delete it for this project.
However if you wanted the length to be controlled, then you would expose it and set to a value or an option that the user can determine the length (scale) of the object on the y axis or direction

as an exercise, create a simple rectangle, make it a component#1, then open the size attributes, overwrite any X,Y,Z with a number of your choice, you will see the the object position move relative to the model axis, Now double click into the component and make its contents a component#2, close the object and open the size attributes for the 2nd. they are all 0, That is relative to the container component#1. Now open component#1, right click component#2 and change its axis position to one of the other corners, even change direction, now the grey out values are no longer 0, Its like parallel Universes with different north poles. This ability to create different frames of reference can be used to position a door so it swings on a given axis.

Now experiment with LenX, LenY…

create a known rectangle say 50 x 100, make component, expose size attributes, change them. Now right click the component. from the menu you can excess reset scale, and scale definition. try them after a size change (menu is also accessible in “out-liner”)
its important to realize that changing the size or length actually scales the instance by a factor of the definitions original length. By reset it returns, by scale definition, the definition is updated. For a group you can only reset.

Now to placing formulas. It is better to create a model, and place any axis to rotate on first, then create the formula to** match the greyed out values**, this helps to side step any scaling issues when using a formula, After checking a movement or resize, its good practice to return back to the original position before building the next. Otherwise one needs to right click and scale the definition, or do a redraw…The scaled embedded objects can realise some unexpected behavior.