Dynamic component instance name

I would like to use the instance name in a formula, specifically as part of the description. What is the function for it:

EX:
=INSTANCENAME&LenX&" x "&“L”&LenY

I would like the output to be something like this → Column 50 x 40

try “_name”

If you install Aerillus’s Attribute Inspector from the extension Warehouse, you can easily inspect the DC’s libraries:

1 Like

That Shows the component definition name not the instance name, I tried the attribute inspector to find it, but unfortunately couldn’t find anything to signify the component instance name.

I don’t think DCs can reference instance names. The formulas to my knowledge belong to the definition and there may be multiple instances with different instance names using that definition.

in that case, is there a way I can have the Dynamic component name showing in the outliner?

The definition name is always shown in the Outliner.

2020-07-08_08h22_39

Mine does not, as shown in the picture below

Is there something I’m missing?

DC Slab and Concrete Slab appears to be the names of these component definitions. I don’t know why the Dynamic Component interface doesn’t match this. Perhaps a redraw is required for the name “Mine does not” to be applied.

Unfortunately redraw doesn’t appear to fix it.

It might be a bug.

@MikeWayzovski @eneroth3 Thank you both for the suggestions :slight_smile:

There is no connection between the “Name” attribute and the component other than the time it is used before using DC attributes. However the instance name will be reflected in both the option and dialog on insertion provided neither the “Name” attribute or the header of the attribute dialog has not been changed. It is possible to make this work by deleting the “Name” attribute if used, however if there has been a change in the dialog header the connection is permanently broken.

Working Cabinets File (3).skp (98.4 KB)

Rather than the component definition, you can use entity name in the report which is the instance name (Report attached to above file)

In Layout you can reference the instance name and other details if they are exposed in the options dialog.

example.layout (72.7 KB)

Otherwise you would need a Ruby script to populate the attribute(s) with the current instance name, or updating the “Name” attribute if used, or _name if used in a formula. There has been no update to resolve these and many other issues, its quite likely there will be none (being 10 years now) so Ruby is the only way to extend this work flow.

1 Like

Good to know

Thanks!

has anyone noticed that the instance name, if it has “copy ###” (where ### is a 3 digit number) in it, is not visible in the Component Report. if you edit the instance name and remove the “copy ###” from the instance name or clear the instance name, it now shows up. not sure if this is a bug or a feature forcing us to use other means of getting proper counts in our projects…

The bug has been there so long that it’s probably a feature :grinning:
Copy’s are great for visual exploring the design, once the design is finished or ‘modelled’ it needs aome attention if you want true reports….

i figured. so i’ve been using the open cut list extension to get my reports before polishing them in Excel or Sheets.