DWG Export with layers

Amazing. Original post was in 2015. We’ve heard about how obsolete 2D cad is and yet we’re all still begging for some decent dwg export from sketchup and layout. I don’t expect any response from trimble after all these years. Hell, SU doesn’t even have “layers” anymore so I guess the problem is solved.

DWG format is not obsolete. There is a huge world working outside of Finland @Anssi .

Rest assured that if I could deliver an IFC to any of my consultants, to the municipality, to the owner or the contractor, it would be much easier than exporting a DWG. However, I’m loosing weeks of my work dealing with layout and dwg exports, just because I cannot export Tags from the Sketchup model, into a DWG with Layout.

It’s stupid work that makes me feel numb in the end of the day.

4 Likes

In May I was talking mainly about Autodesk’s habit of introducing a new DWG file format every three or so years, even if AutoCad has gained no new features that would require it.
I admit that there is still a need for these CAD files. That people stick to obsolete workflows doesn’t make 2D CAD the less obsolete. It is not the only widely used workflow that has a negative impact on productivity.

1 Like

In AutoCAD run this routine Lisp

(defun c: ColortoLayer (/ ActDoc LayCol LayClr tmpLay)

(setq ActDoc (vla-get-ActiveDocument (vlax-get-Acad-Object))))
(setq LayCol (vla-get-Layers ActDoc))
(vlax-for Layout ( vla-get-Layouts ActDoc)
(vlax-for Obj (vla-get-Block Layout)
(setq LayClr (vla-get-Color Obj))
(if (vl-catch-all-error-p (vl-catch-all -aplicar 'vla-Item (list LayCol (itoa
LayClr))))
(progn
(setq tmpLay (vla-Adicionar LayCol (itoa LayClr)))
(vla-put-Color tmpLay LayClr)
)
)
(vla-put-Layer Obj (itoa LayClr))
(vla-put-Color Obj 256)
)
)
(princ)
)
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces

3 Likes

(defun c:ColortoLayer (/ ActDoc LayCol LayClr tmpLay)

(setq ActDoc (vla-get-ActiveDocument (vlax-get-Acad-Object)))
(setq LayCol (vla-get-Layers ActDoc))
(vlax-for Layout (vla-get-Layouts ActDoc)
(vlax-for Obj (vla-get-Block Layout)
(setq LayClr (vla-get-Color Obj))
(if (vl-catch-all-error-p (vl-catch-all-apply 'vla-Item (list LayCol (itoa
LayClr))))
(progn
(setq tmpLay (vla-Add LayCol (itoa LayClr)))
(vla-put-Color tmpLay LayClr)
)
)
(vla-put-Layer Obj (itoa LayClr))
(vla-put-Color Obj 256)
)
)
(princ)
)

1 Like

I’m sorry TIG, but I disagree! The AutoCAD 2D (hiddenline) export doesn’t use the SketchUp layers but the Skalp 2D export place every line on the correct SketchUp layer.

SketchUp export:

Skalp export:

Only layer of the windows visible:

2 Likes

That is very cool! I think TIG was saying that Skalp is the solution for the original issue.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks!

I am surprised that no solution has been given yet.
And to be honest, the only reason I want to export to .dwg is for drafting because LO is veeery slow and inadequate for serious drafting.
(maybe that’s exactly the reason Trimble doesn’t want a proper dwg export proccess because it would instantly kill LO)
An experienced SU user can easily get to a ‘draftable’ result of complex models (say a multistory building) but LO is always the bottleneck.
I really believe that if this wasn’t the case, sketchup would not be condemned to be just a concept-fase program.
Come on Trimble, We want to share our designs with the world, either fix Layout or fix dwg export!

6 Likes

I used to do “drafting” in the 1900s. I am starting to forget what the term means.

hehe, plotting ok…
I do not work in an english speaking environment and I’m not that accostumed to the nomenclature but I think you get what I mean…

:rofl: Wow! Exact! Any news, or solutions on this topic?

No news as far as I know (just trying to keep this thread alive because there is not much more to talk about unless trimble solves it)

4 Likes

Drafting was the appropriate word for drawing plans in acad instead of sketchup layout. :wink:

Agree with others that it is frustrating I can’t export a 2d view that at least has the different line weights on separate layes…makes it annoying for the person I hand it to for drafting.

I don’t like Sketchup anyway outside of it having a good 3d warehouse and being relatively cheap, so lack of easy compatibility to acad is just another reason to use Revit from the start.

here is all our dwg problems, sorted…

4 Likes

Thanks! As of late, I’ve been outputting backgrounds for consultants from layout. Cleaner DWG look, retains wall cuts as a layer, but all of it is just lose geometry if someone needs to make a change.

Good matrix. I’m not sure I follow on Accuracy-No for export from Layout. I can’t say I’m having problems with the accuracy.

In recent months, given the lack of support for layers in DWG anyway, I’m using PDF to get hybrid output from Layout into PowerCADD.

Direct from SketchUp, DWG does at least give up to three layers to assign lineweights to: Section Cuts, Profile Edges, and all other edges.

1 Like

dwg accuracy out of Layout is not 100 percent.
I researched that, and reported my findings here: Import_export precision in Layout

In and out of sketchup, and from sketchup to Layout, its 100%.
But out of layout to dwg, and also dwg directly into Layout, is more like 99,999 %

Some revisions to my matrix attached. Scalp exports are not that useful, as they dont include your Layout dimensioning and text.

2 Likes

Hi Odd_Haakon_Byberg, you may need to edit a little bit at:

1. “SketchUp 2D Graphic” Method.
    You can keep color from tag when export if using “Color by Tag” mode and change color of egdes to: by material in Edges settings.
    But:
  • Still same in a layer, but after that we could use a lisp in AutoCad to automatically assign objects to seperate layers by color.
  • Color for these layer in rgb, so we can’t use ctb plot style to print the file.
  1. Curic Section plugin (same funstion as Skalp) can export to DXF maintain Layers and create close polylines and hatches for sections.

help me out a bit in my column on Curic Section?