Duplicating Windows And Doors?

Hmm… Double Cut won’t accept my trial license. Testing on hold until that is sorted out.

It’s discussed here. (Face Cutter extension is no longer available).

As you can see in the topic referenced above, such a feature would be useful for much more that just architecture.

What the existence of Double Cut would seem to demonstrate is that double cutting is technically possible in SketchUp software, and thus Trimble has decided not to provide that feature, for some reason I have no clue about. I get why Trimble would not wish to provide every imaginable feature, as that’s what extensions are for. Why duplicating windows on double pane walls is apparently considered a feature too odd to include in the base software is a puzzle. But, if that hasn’t happened by now I guess it’s likely it’s never going to happen, so, on to Double Cut.

One of the best features what had happened back in SU version 6 the ability of creating Extensions (That time called Plugins).

With this the main interface can be focused to the “core”: Roughly, creating edges and faces and modelling everything what you can imagine in the word. Then the UI will keep clean and user can decide what he/she want to do and install the necessary Extension as she/he wishes.

You maybe realizing that even for example the Sandbox, Dynamic Components, Advanced Camera tools, Trimble Connect are Extensions!

Lots of thing you can find in e.g.:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/

And yes, you can create your own or ask someone to do!

Personally I have never used e.g. double cutting because I do not need it. But I can install if I want!

Absolutely MattL,
I think FlexTools will totally solve all NUKE’s issues … but for some reason, he doesn’t seem to be listening to us about this, and has gone off on a “Double Cut” tangent … which we know will not be very satisfying …
Granted, FlexTools does cost a few bucks, but it is so totally worth it in terms of sophistication and ease of use. Plus, they are aggressively improving and adding features all the time!
If only Trimble would behave like that with their so needy LayOut child!
Oh well, we tried to help!

I appreciate the attempt to help, but if you should wish to dial down the sanctimonious preaching, that would be ok here, I wouldn’t object, :slight_smile:

Flextools is $99 PER YEAR.

I’m not saying it’s not worth it, as there are a lot of different situations. For a business, it might be totally worth it. For a hobbyist, not so much, at least not this hobbyist.

Guys, all subscription software models are nothing more than an attempt to jack the price WAY WAY up. I don’t blame the sellers, I’d do it too if I could. Just saying, not a compelling offer here.

I personally also don’t agree with subscription models, they are the cancer of pricing policies - also looking at Trimble’s decision to make SKP a subscription based product. That’s why we’re currently exploring other options when it comes to CAD software - heck, we might even go Blender (once we get the hang of it).

That said, as it currently stands FlexTools is a no brainer for us from a business standpoint, the price to performance ratio is just too good. The time savings on one project alone are paying for the yearly cost several times over. From a hobbyist’s standpoint that doesn’t earn a penny with this profession though I can absolutely agree with @Nuke’s standpoint - 99 USD per year is just a bit steep.

I try to avoid moralizing about subscription pricing, as everyone is free to run their business as they wish. However, when any company jacks their price way up, that creates an opening for a competitor that’s willing to be more reasonable.

If it were my company, and it isn’t, I might do subscription pricing with the option for monthly payments. If the price of a software is going to be jacked way up, then monthly billing instead of (in addition to) yearly billing would demonstrate a good faith effort to meet the customer in the middle.

When I see a pay a year upfront scheme what I hear is that seller doesn’t have confidence that they can keep me happy for a year.

Well, that’s enough, now I’m hijacking my own thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi again Nuke,
Have you checked out the 1001 Bit Tools extension (free)?
In addition to the FlexTools extension I tried to give you earlier, Bit Tools has some handy hole cutting and window/door (w/ frames!) routines that are pretty good. Note, although this extension has not been updated since SU 2015, it seems to play fine on SU '19 and '20.
Check out these 2 YouTube pieces from SketchUp Essentials …

Easy Openings, Doors, and Windows w/1001Bit Tools

Learn how to use the free SketchUp extension 1001Bit Tools in order to create different kinds of openings in walls in SketchUp!

Cutting Holes? Fixing Opening Issues

This video will talk about some of the common issues people have when trying to cut holes in flat walls in SketchUp!

1 Like

Thanks @Beamer2 - no I hadn’t heard of this extension to now. I’ll check it out and report back, and watch the videos you’ve provided too. Appreciate it.

Hey Beamer, wanted to check back in to thank you for your suggestion and report it looks like the solution for me. I haven’t mastered it yet of course, but I’m working my way through Justin’s videos and getting the general idea. Looks good to me, I’m going to stick with this for now.

Should any one else be interested the easiest way to get going is probably to dive in to Justin’s videos on this extension, which can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1001+Bit+Tools+extension

The extension can be downloaded here:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/e5b1211a-8d1a-4813-bdc3-b321e5477d7b/1001bit-tools-freeware

Thanks again Beamer!

2 Likes

I’m glad to have helped you with the Bit Tools …
Sorry Flextools was too rich for your blood … you may find that over time, the SketchUp “hobby” starts to grow on you enough that these more expensive toys start to look attractive!
Now that you have had some relatively cheap first tastes, you may start to crave stronger 3D extensions! (Yes, SketchUp is habit forming and can be a bit addictive!).
Help Groups are available should you develop a serious problem! (Just Kidding!). I think …

You can check out vali architects instant doors and windows.

29$ US per year

Garry

I’m happy to have been the helpee, and appreciate you pointing this nube to the solution that was right for me.

Yes, SketchUp is habit forming and can be a bit addictive!

No kidding! Very true, see this already, and I’ve only been here a month. I was literally pondering submitting a joke thread about my pending lawsuit against Trimble regarding their sale of ruthlessly addictive products etc, but decided that my sense of humor is often so um, “advanced” that I’m the only one who gets it :slight_smile: , and so thought better of it.

Yes, you make a good point. Right now I’m working my way through understanding all the features of Make, but once I’ve done that I can see I may then begin craving additional power features. So far, I’ve as yet to really dig too deep in to the extension warehouse.

I’m SUPER enthusiastic about the 3D Warehouse. To make a long horrible story short I’ve spent the last 2-3 years trying to bring models from different sources together in to scenes and it was a truly painful hassle. The 3D Warehouse solved all that and made 3D finally fun. I hope to submit my own first contributions shortly.

So that’s my testimonial, and I would write more, but can’t right now because my growing collection of models are calling my name, demanding my attention, sucking me ever deeper in to the Trimble Trap!!! :slight_smile: