Duplicating an Ionic Volute

In the screenshot above is an Ionic order volute for the right side of a capital. It takes a while to draw this volute; so I was trying to turn it into a solid using the push-pull tool. I drew a downward vertical line and a horizontal line connected to it at the lowest point of the outer volute line to make a solid. I then used push pull but got nothing put a plane with a hole (the center) in it.

After some thought, that is what is supposed to happen with p-p: the solid extrudes, not the lines. So, is there a way that I can take this volute and rotate it so that I get all 4 of the volutes needed for the capital on an Ionic column?

For example, if I could draw lines at each of the corners projecting equidistant toward the rear, then connect them in a parallel plane to the face, then somehow project the lines through the solid to the other face, I would have a mirror image. By rotating each face 90 degrees, I would then have the 4 volutes needed for the capital. If that is possible, I donā€™t know how to do it. Assuming that it is not possible, how would I go about making this 2 dimensional drawing into a 3 dimensional shape?
???

Sorry if the question is unclear. Itā€™s early and my mind is muddled.

SketchUp Make 2016 running on Windows 7

Iā€™m not fully following your question, but have you tried offset.

Or is it something like this? Once you have the solid component, you can make as many copies as you need and then flip them along the appropriate axis to create the mirrored copies.

This was just a quickie. I think the shape could be improved.

And a little Push/Pull action and some hidden edges and faces where the components come together will make it look like one.

1 Like

Thank you, Box and DaveR!

Apparently my drawing is not on a plane surface because I cannot get it to perform as you describe, Box. Here is my file:
Ionic volute right side.skp (134.6 KB)

Iā€™ve used the Fredo Tools to examine the lines which are all connected. When I draw the vertical line to attempt the push-pull, I get this result: ionic volute rt side cut out p-p result.skp (137.9 KB)

What am I doing wrong!

DaveR, that is SOME quickie!

I drew it while I was getting ready for work. if Iā€™d done a proper job of it, thereā€™d be a hem and the surface would have the correct curvature.

What are you going to do with this Ionic volute model when you get finished with it?

Delete these two lines and then triple click on one arc and then use Follow me. The circle in the center is quite segmented(nasty offset), you might want to redraw it. And not just the circle is the problem, the other arcs too. They are divided from place to place and a bigger offset creates stray lines which wonā€™t let the face to close.

SketchUp is one of my hobbies. I am drawing an architectural model of a house that has Ionic order columns on either side of the entry door and the classical architrave, cornice, frieze, etc. above the columns. The columns will actually be one half of a 12-sided column.

Again, my use of SketchUp 2016 Make is purely for my own entertainment. Iā€™m 74 yo and use learning new skills as a deterrent to Alzheimerā€™s.

Thank you for the response ely862me. I thought that my line segment joins might be a problem but using Fredo Tools edge examiner revealed only the glitch at the bottom of the circle, which I have since corrected.

As for the drawing, I followed a translation of Vitruviusā€™ writings on proportions and symmetry in the Ionic order. The only error I can detect in the placement of the circle or ā€˜eyeā€™ of the volute is in failing to start the swirl at the wrong point on the circle circumference. It should start at the top center of the circle not the bottom center. I shall correct this on my next drawing.

If anyone has suggestions that will help me draw the object without the problems where the arc segments join, Iā€™d be much obliged for the input!

The problem isnā€™t where the arc segments join. It is something different, as you can see from the images, the whole segmentation is kind of erratic and not even and smooth. After cleaning it, it all just works as expected.

Ionic volute right side-2.skp (107.5 KB)

If I understand it correctly, that flat (is it called the ā€œhemā€?) gets narrower as you get closer to the center. I tried to show that here in red.

Something still isnā€™t quite right about the shape and I may not have enough turns.

FWIW, the one in the background is made from four of the component front left.

Iā€™m sorry, but I donā€™t understand the term ā€˜segmenationā€™ in this context.

Are you saying that I need to enter a higher number of segments, eg #s, for the circle and each arc? If so, what number would you suggest to smooth it out? I used the default segment numbers for the circle and the arc.

Dave,
How do you generate the curved face in the volute?
Best,
dh

The default segmentation is alright, but you did something else too, because as you can see from place to place there are some small segments, those will give you errors with the Offset .

I just used Follow Me but it isnā€™t quite the right shape.

BTW, I think I know what youā€™re thinking, David.

Cheers.

This is closer with TIGā€™s Extrude Edges by Rails

Dave,
Iā€™m thinking that I need another great big cup of coffee this morning. Canā€™t figure out how you used Follow Me on an ever-shrinking path.
Best,
dh

1 Like

So canā€™t I! (sorry, I know this falls off the topicā€¦)

What does this mean?

DaveR, thanks. I followed the topic down and got shocked by your first post (15d old) where you started asking ā€˜ā€¦Or is it something like thisā€¦?ā€™ and showed a volute with concave faces. As @davidheim1 I canā€™t figure out how you did it with follow me, either!

As I wrote 14 days ago, I just used Follow Me for that. then I did a bit of cleanup. A better appraoch would be to use TIGā€™s Extrude Tools and I showed here.

DaveR, just viewed your video and got impressed, thanks so much!