Drawing patterns on an arc

I want to draw a pattern on the 5 arc shapes in the picture, is there an easy way to draw one so it sits on the surface?

Probably the best way to accomplish what you are after is to project an image of the pattern you wish to show onto the surfaces created by the arched forms, in lieu of attempting to model or draw a pattern directly on those surfaces. The ideal solution would be to make a single component of one of the forms, project the pattern on the component and then copy the component to the other locations. Here are a couple of tutorial examples found on YouTube (other examples exist as well, you just need to construct a carefully worded search to locate them):

The obvious caveat lies in the fact that you must first create the pattern and convert that to an image which can then be projected (or mapped) to a defined surface.

“Pattern” may be the vaguest term you could have used. It doesn’t tell us much.

What’s the pattern? Line art? A color picture? A graphic like a logo? Something like a continuous tile pattern? It could matter.

Also, what is to be the background material on the domes to be?

-Gully

The background material will be the mosaic tile pattern, and then i want to do line art over it being able to fill in the lines i make.

In short, I want it to look like this,

So you want to draw real lines over the curved surfaces.

It would be easier to work in another SKP, draw a flat 2d projection of the surface and add the pattern, and color it.
Then make an Image of that and import it into your larger model and use it as a projected texture onto the surfaces.

But if you insist on real lines in the model then there are several possibilities…
Like a Plugin such as ToolsOnSurface by Fredo6 http://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=ToolsOnSurface [note that it also needs his Lib installing http://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=LibFredo6
]

Great, now I want to redesign my pool in my backyard. This is awesome. But my pool is probably only the size of the bar canopy. :slight_smile:

Or in other words, it’s two distinct operations: creating (or obtaining) an image of the completed mosaic and projecting it onto the dome shape.

To expand on the first of these, it may be most logical and effective to create the image in a separate 2D graphics application using tools that are specifically dedicated to drawing 2D geometric patterns, which is not really SU. Perhaps the biggest issue with using SU to create a 2D graphic is its extremely poor line width control and, indeed, the tendancy for SU edges used as graphic lines to bleed together as you move back from them.

-Gully

So here’s an experiment to demonstrate using a non-projected texture, which results in less distortion of the image (pattern). I created the texture in CorelDraw, where I actually drew the tiles and created the pattern as a mosaic. The pattern I used is about the best I can make out from the photo.

-Gully

5 Likes

That is a fantastic help. thank you!

Well done gully. nicely explained!

Wow… now thats what I call an answer!