Drawing or Drafting?

semantics

To further muddle the waters, a draftsman produces mechanical drawings. So called, I guess, because in the old days one used a T-square, triangles, French curves, and other templates to put the right shapes in the right places. This as opposed to freehand drawing. Or sketching, to some of us.

1 Like

Robert, Thanks! I think now I gott it!

Yes, “entwerfen” means designing Architecture. “Entwurf” is called the finished design. This is usually a Drawing by hand.

Nick, thanks a lot, but in writing english I´m much better than speaking it. This is because when I don´t know a word, I can stop my texting and quickly can take a look at dict.cc :grin:
But my goal is, to be able to speak english fluently. And of course I appreciate this little english lesson a lot. Thanks to all!
Funny thing is, that I learn a lot from watching SketchUp-videos on youtube.

Fulda? 4 hours away from the place where I´m located at. I live and work in a town called Albstadt. 800 m above sea-level, which means chances are that we have building freezes during winter. But we use that period to design next projects.

Little Story: Before I started with SketchUp two years ago, I thought, SketchUp can only be used for very simple things. But after I saw a video on Yt, showing your awesome work and workflow with the program, I was very surprised and thrilled!

2 Likes

Not a native English speaker but I’ve interpreted drafting as referring to making an actual (technical) drawing, while drawing could refer to sketching and other things too. Typically, at least in the old days, an older architect would make decisions and communicate them as quick sketches, while an intern would typically then draft the actual drawings to scale and with straight lines.

1 Like

was it in the beginning of the 70’s?

3 Likes

Architecture school never prepared me for this!

Well I used to learn English from Python😃

1 Like

Note that it is “Queen’s English”. If you speak about “flats” in the US they will send you to a tyre repair shop.
When I was at school in the third quarter of the 20th century our English teachers scolded us severely for using Americanisms acquired mostly from TV. Now Google or someone puts wavy lines under English spellings.

I prefer Ruby.

2 Likes

And Latin

3 Likes

According to the latest manual, everything you do with SketchUp is a ‘draft’…

3 Likes

lol mdr

lots of nice churches and not so nice traffic cams, take care.

CADD> is Computer-Aided-Design-Drafting
Which over the last 20 years or so the term ‘Drafting’ has been dropped so now we have CAD
Computer-Aided-Design
Both terms 'Draw and ‘Draft’ are synonymous with using paper with crayon, pen, pencil, chalk just about any media imaginable
Each term congers the artist more than the designer
Each term is lost to a by-gone period in time before the advent of the computer

The more modern term used in the States is ‘Modeling’ with regards to 3D design work
We still do have drawings although these are now electronic ‘PDFs’ (Portable Document Format)

In the near future the use of paper will all but disappear as the sharing of electronic data exchange of design projects will become the normal in education, government and work through the workstation

Besides there is available ‘translation’ software for nearly every language on the planet so if you want a shortcut to enhance your language skills - use one of those programs

Anyway where did ‘SketchUp’ come from - why isn’t it ‘DrawUp’? Ummmm

Happy 3D Modeling

1 Like

It was a simple question, which is the correct word for the printed object?
Drawings. Because it is a noun and Drafting is a Verb.

2 Likes

I know I’m way late to this game, but I couldn’t resist: This: image is a GHOTI

(GH as in “rough,” O as in “women,” and TI as in “nation”)

No one ever said English was an easy language to learn, much less understand,

My two cents on topic: to DRAUGHT (hence draughting) was once the preferred spelling for the act of laying out drawings for objects to be built, fabricated, assembled, etc. Thank the spelling gods that we now spell it DRAFT. A DRAFTSMAN makes DRAWINGS for use by BUILDERS to CONSTRUCT things…or maybe for use by CONTRACTORS to BUILD … oh, never mind.

I’m going Ghoting.! :smiley:

2 Likes

Let’s just say English isn’t a world language for its inherent qualities, but because of the British empire and the data empire. Still a quite lovely language though in its own way.

We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

2 Likes

I’m happy to say we don’t borrow any (English) words either:

2 Likes