Draw lines on clear glass?

materials

Don’t know if this is possible in SU. I’m trying to create a material that would have colored lines over a transparent background. I have included a model where I’ve created the glass of a light fixture. I’ve achieved white glass with brown lines, but the actual fixture has clear glass with brown lines. I can’t just change the opacity, because this washes out the lines as well. Ideally I’d like to create a texture that could be projected onto the rounded surface of the glass.mini pendant, Jesco.skp (1.9 MB)

You must use a PNG texture where the white has been made transparent.
This is already the case with your texture.
But sketchup uses a different texture on each side.
The inner texture is currently opaque.
It is also necessary to apply the texture with transparency on the inside face.
I accessed the inner side with the Section tool, then apply the texture.

I do not know if I understood your question.mini pendant, Jesco transparent.skp (1.9 MB)

Thanks! Guess I should have figured that out myself.

Actually, now that I’ve looked at my edited model more closely, I realize that I still haven’t achieved what I want. I am trying to make clear glass with dark brown lines. I created the lines image using Paint and saved it as a jpeg, then imported it to SU as a texture image. This image was projected onto the curved surface. By editing the opacity to 72% I was able to make the texture somewhat transparent, but this also faded out the brown lines a bit. What I’m going for is very dark brown lines on clear glass.mini pendant, Jesco clear best.skp (1.6 MB)

Instead of reducing the opacity of the entire images, you need to convert just the white areas to transparent. Leave the opacity of the brown areas at 100%

I didn’t make all of the areas transparent but I got most of them.
mini pendant, Jesco clear best.skp (2.1 MB)

Wow, that looks pretty good. How do you isolate the white areas from the brown?

I edited the texture image in Photoshop, selected the white areas and deleted them leaving transparent pixels. Then saved it as a PNG file (it’s a JPG in your file and JPGs don’t support transparency) and imported it back to SketchUp. I then replaced the original texture with the new one.

The easy way to delete the white pixels is to use the Magic Wand to select the brown area. Then invert the selection and hit Delete.

Thanks! I had made an attempt to do this as a transparency in Photoshop, but I didn’t know that it wasn’t supported in jpeg. Learn something new every day!

Thanks to all for the help. Here is my final version. It looks very much like the actual fixture!

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/warehouse/getpubliccontent?contentId=61ff4627-088f-4cfc-81a7-fedc1de095c7

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.