Does not appear to be Sketchup model

HI everyone pls help with this situation… thanks in advance for your help

You have to make the file accesible…

@tweenulzeven, my apology, I already make it accessible, pls your help, thanks

It’s not public yet, if you don’t know how to do it you can use wetransfer and use a link to share the file, if the file is 16mb or less you can upload it directly to a comment.

Hope I do the right thing to access my file thru google drive

It’s still not public, go to wetransfer.com upload your files there scroll down to select the use link option copy the link and paste it on a comment.

No need to post the link twice. I looked at your file. A large part of it is just zeroes. No useful data.

Where were you saving the file?

Do you have the .skb backup file and can you share it. Maybe it can be opened.

@DaveR ,Hi sir actually this was came from my recovery hard drive and this is the only one I retrieve
from it

Ah … That’s unfortunate. It seems that recovery applications are notorious for corrupting files. I think there’s nothing to do but start over on the model.

Make sure you are saving the file locally on an internal drive. Also use the Trimble Connect storage you have. Publish the file to Trimble Connect to keep a backup copy.

Minor clarification: the recovery software (Wikipedia link) does not generally cause corruptions. The challenge of the recovery software is to try reconstructing a file that had been deleted from the filesystem. Each file consists of some number of blocks of data (the SKP file contents, for example) along with so-called metadata that helps the filesystem to keep track of where those data blocks are located on the storage media device (HDD, SSD, etc.). After the file is deleted from the filesystem, those data blocks are still in their original locations, as are at least some of the metadata blocks. If the file recovery process was performed immediately after the deletion, then the odds are quite high that the file could be recovered essentially intact.

However, after the file is deleted the filesystem considers the file’s data blocks to be free and available to be re-used for other uses (such as when new files are created or existing files are extended). The metadata can also be updated such that the space they used for references to the old data blocks get re-used to track other filesystem information. If the file recovery process is performed after the filesystem has experienced some change, the odds become lower and lower that all the original data blocks remain untouched, and the original metadata remains valid.

The recovery software could determine that block #12345678 on the HDD was the first data block in the original SKP file, but that block might now contain a portion of a spreadsheet file, or anything else. When that block is inserted at the front of the recovered SKP file, the recovered SKP file will appear corrupted. It is corrupted from the viewpoint of the original file’s contents, but that result is the best that could be recovered. It is also possible that the recovery software cannot determine where some of the original data blocks are (were) located due to the loss of original metadata information as the filesystem changes, so those data blocks are omitted from the recovered file. In other words, arbitrary parts of the file might simply be missing.

5 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I was just trying to keep it simplified. The end result is the same: a non-viable file.

2 Likes

Thank you @DaveR and @TDahl for your help… same thing I worry about the recovery application because some of my cad file also not fully recovered on my hard drive. to make story short I’m about to factory reset my laptop and I wrongly used my External drive where I save my backup file for bootable disk.
By the way I keep your advices making backup on the Trimble Connect and do diligence of my work.

once again thank you very much every body :saluting_face:

1 Like

Your reaction is a bit harsh, @francisquitof . I suggest that if you are going to challenge another poster’s information, you provide some explanation. As you can see, I took the time to elaborate on the other forum user’s statement to which you are referring. I happen to have a professional background in storage systems software, so I chose to add clarity to the brief statement that you have challenged, rather that merely calling it wrong.

2 Likes

Chill brothers no need to argue by the way we found the cause and learned to take extra care for all our files.
Thanks to you all! :saluting_face: :v:

1 Like