Disagreement on solid status

Solid Inspector tells me my part is OK but Sketchup still identifies it as only a group.
I have tried exploding & re-grouping but this makes no difference. Unfortunately the file size just exceeds the limit so I have not been able to attach it. (If you can suggest a way around this I’m happy to re-send.)
Can anyone suggest a procedure for finding the problem - from other posts I see that this is not a new issue but I can’t find any general guidance.

If the file exceeds the forum size limit of about 10MB, you can put it on a sharing site such as Dropbox or the 3D Warehouse and provide a link here.

Particularly for complex shapes there are situations that can fool either SketchUp or solid inspector.

Extensions that check ‘solidity’ are not infallible.
Your ingenuity is creating convoluted geometry can exceed our coding skills…

If you make the group into a component and then use save_as … I’d be surprised if its size is too big at attach here !
A screenshot might help us get perspective…
Have you used Model Info > Statistics > Purge Unused…

I have an alternative extension - SketchUp Plugins | PluginStore | SketchUcation
It works slightly differently, so it might work ?
You can get a free membership at SketchUcation, if you don’t already have one…

I have changed the part from a Group to a Component as you suggested to address the file size issue & found that Sketchup now identifies it as a Solid Component.
Out of interest I then exploded the Component & saved it as a Group again & magically it is now a Solid Group, so either way you have solved my problem.
Thank you. I’ll try this again if a similar situation occurs.

Thanks for your suggestions. As you may have seen my problem on this occasion has been resolved by switching from Group to Component & back again.
Kind regards

To me that suggests that there was some tiny issue with the geometry that got fixed during the explode and re-assemble.

In my experience it is usually the other way around, a solid ‘breaks’ when edited or saved and particularly when SU checks validity. So often a perfectly good model can be decimated by this helpfulness.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. Would you recommend any general practice tips to minimise the risk of corruption (apart from building models correctly in the first place!).