Validity check when saving "destroys" solid

Hi there,

So I succesfully created my object for 3D printing as a solid object.
Solid Inspector2 and I are happy and I can export it as STL file. All good.

However, when I regularily save the file (skp) the validity check destroys my object and it is no longer a solid. When I undo the “Check Validity” everything is fine again, but of course I want to save my file in a valid solid condition.

Did anybody experience similar things and what do I need to do to fix this ?
Thanks in advance!

Before Saving:

After Saving:

Can you uploaded the SU (.skp) file itself?

Hello John

Yes sure. I had to ZIP them because they exceeded the file size Limit of 3072 KB.

Here is the file before I do the solid substraction of two shapes. In this condition, I can safe the file and both solids remain valid.
before_substraction.zip (1.6 MB)

And this is the file after the substraction where the solid is damaged when saving.
after_substraction.zip (1.7 MB)

Best regards,
Stefan

Busy now till late this afternoon, but which piece do you want to subtract from the other? The lower base from the upper circle I assume?

1 Like

Hello John

No worries - same here.
Yes, the big piece is to be subtracted from the circle.

The result is supposed to look like this:

It seems your cutting solid may be positioned a bit to deep into the disc. Try moving it up the Z axis so it’s connector plate is above the disc.
Edit: upon posting I see some missing grooves. I’ll try again.

Shep

1 Like

Okay, upon running subtract just as you had it set, I get a solid but it doesn’t look right.
Solid inspector reports 10875 reversed faces.
I’ll try one more time.
Sorry for the confusing previous post, I wasn’t quite awake I guess.

Shep

Ah ha. Looks like a misuse of layers. You have loose geometry on layers other than layer 0.
I deleted the 3 layers, returning all geometry to layer 0 and it seems to have worked.

2 Likes

That sounds like good news.
Have you been able to save the file and it remains a solid after saving?

Yes it can be saved but I don’t allow SU to fix the model.
In and around those “counterbores” there are some edges that are about .03 .06mm. This may be what is causing the validity check to choke. There may be other issues as well. I’ve run short of time myself this morning. I can look further this evening when I return to a computer.

Shep

1 Like

I occasionally see this effect (where the validity-check performed during a file-save) “damages” what had been an apparently healthy solid model. In my case the situation always involves small geometry. I’m using the “Dave” method of editing a copy of a component that has been scaled up by a factor of 100x compared to the natural-size original component instance. This allows two vertexes (which may or may not be connected by an edge) to be very close to each other. But occasionally the validity check will merge the two points or otherwise do damage that eliminates some faces and edges.

I never let SketchUp attempt to fix the model, because I don’t know what the software is going to do (and I want to know!). I manually patch things up, sometimes using Solid Inspector2 to help me find the location of trouble. It’s a pain to do, but fortunately it doesn’t happen too often (even with my model components frequently having small fillets and curves). Before I learned the “Dave” method it was a nightmare.

2 Likes

I had a look at the model earlier but didn’t have time to give a decent reply and now I am only on my phone.
The problems I found were, the layers, deleting them fixed things, and the position of the holes.
You need to reposition them so that they fall wholly within the channel. At the moment they are causing failures where they extend beyond the edge of the channel.

1 Like

Dear All

I have considered all your hints (scaling, properly placing the holes, etc.) and now it worked just well!
I’m really thankful for your help. I think this is a great community!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.