Dimensions linked to wrong location in elevation

I am having a problem with dimensions in LayOut. This is in an interior elevation where the room is deeper on one side of the elevation than on the other. That is, the shower wall on the left is closer to the cutting plane that the window behind the toilet. I want to dimension from the wall of the shower to the edge of the window. In elevation this is 5". LayOut is giving me a dimension of something more that 3’-2". That is the correct dimension in 3d from the front edge of the shower to the window, but that is not how architectural dimension are supposed to work. I have a clumsy workaround. Create a section cut and over lay it on the elevation and use that for dimensioning and then turn it off for printing, but is there a better way?

I think this is mentioned before and @JQL ? Being worked on.
For now, you could edit the text of the dimension.
FWIW: I have always been puzzled by the ‘architectual’ norm of displaying the ‘calculated’ dim instead of the real.

The request for horizontally locked dimensions comes up frequently. Cross your fingers that someday it will rise enough in priority to get addressed.

I don’t understand. In plan view the dimensions are always the number projected, that is parallel to the dimension line. The display shows a dashed line between the indication lines that is parallel to the dimension line and show a right angle symbol on each side. In my elevation views the dashed line goes between the attachment points of the dimension. These seem to be two different types of dimensions. I just want to be able to use the first type in my elevations. I have been using LayOut for several years this seems to be a new thing.

I don’t understand the difference between Calculated and Real in this context. Can you explain?

The real being the hypotenusa and the calculated being the X or Y vector
In practice , it would be easier to measure the real distance with a tape measure than the two vectors

In orthographic projections, plan, sections and elevations, which are very useful abstractions, the third dimension is ignored. In the old days, we, meaning us architects, would draw a plan in order to illustrate the layout on the ground, or the deck of a particular floor. This plan would show the distance from one wall to the other. If the architect showed the dimension from the top of one wall to the bottom of another the dimension, while real in some sense, would be very misleading. An elevation is also an orthographic projection and all dimensions are assumed to be in the same plane or a parallel plane. So, the kind of diagonal dimension you suggest when it is not possible to see that it is a diagonal would be misleading. A dimension in a 3d view of the type you suggest would be very helpful as long as it is clear where it begins and where it ends.

1 Like

LayOut dimensions snap their ends to vertices in the 3D SketchUp model. On occasion these may be at different heights above the plane you are viewing, causing misleading diagonal measurements. Being able to lock the dimensions to a plane or an axis would prevent this. You have to remember that although LayOut is showing a 2D view, the actual model still has depth into the screen.

I think you are missing a secret here. In a plan view that is simply not the case. In a bathroom for instance I can attach one point to a wall corner and the other to the face representing the floor and get a correct plan dimension. If I then move that second point to the lid of the toilet I get the same dimension unless I have moved the point further away from the first point in a direction parallel to the dimension line. It still has the right angle graphics when I edit. The views that are not plans get very different response from the dimension and the light blue dashed line goes from point to point, not parallel to the dimension line. They are two different kinds of views and I get different kinds of dimensions. I want to be able to control either how LO sees the views or how the dimensions display. This is a NEW PROBLEM. It did not exist before.

I got this in an email from SU Support this afternoon,

Hi WILLIAM,

Thanks for your note. You are absolutely right, and I’m told this is fixed in an upcoming release. I’m sorry you experienced this issue, and thank you for the feedback. As a workaround until that release, it helps to rotate the viewport model slightly, pick two dimension points on the same plane, and then use Scene selections in the context menu to snap the view back into Ortho view.

I don’t find the workaround very helpful, but maybe 2018 will have this fixed.

Sounds great - being able to fix dimensions to an orthographic plane would be super helpful.

@wfon

I think this is why @MikeWayzovski referred me:

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/bug-dimensions-on-non-standard-views-get-a-dangerous

Anyway, it seems you have a nice answer from support.

Got the same problem !
I use Extended views plugin to set my orthographic views.
But dimensions will reflect very often 3d diagonal dimension
I now create a section (cutting nothing) and align view to section, then save a scene.
Looks like it works better…

Unhappily this problem was not solved in 2018…

Interesting tabbarakarim… would you be able to send me your file? you can email me at trent@sketchup.com

I am seeing that our fix in 2018 resolved this issue.

I would be curious if there is another use case in which this fails.

Trent

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.