Dimensioned A4 Drawings?

Hi all, I’ve been using sketchup for a while and love it. Always have.

I tend to draw in 3D and sketch out ideas for woodwork projects - now I’d like to get some help in taking those drawings to the next phase - production drawings or part drawings.

at the moment I draw components, label them then using cut and paste I build them into an assembly - i.e my next project is a garden gate, so I’ve made sides, brace bars and slats that will be going across.

What i’d like to be able to do, is show dimensions on a part. Whenever I use the dimension tool the scale goes out so it’s not very visible once printed.

I’d like to be able to show a couple of views on my 3D model to remind me of construction, then create detail part drawings from that construction fully dimensioned. This will then give me a drawing pack for future reference.

any help would be great.

What you are looking to do is one of the main things I do with SketchUp. Your profile indicates you are using SketchUp 2018 but it also says “Make”. There is no 2018 Make. If you are using SketchUp 2018, you have Pro and also have LayOut which is the documentation side of things. If you are using an older Make version, you won’t have LayOut. The direction you go for creating your plans for printing will depend on which version you really have.

Maybe you could share a model of a project and we can take it from there.

i’ll double check when I get home later - I thought it was 2018, but it’s definitely got “make” on there somewhere.

perhaps upgrading is in order for me to get what I want. I was looking at TurboCad as I couldn’t get the output I wanted from sketchup but it’s much harder to use and I’m a lot quicker in sketchup so perhaps I should just plump up the cash

I expect you’d find LayOut to be useful for more than just making your A4 shop drawings.

If you send me a file of a typical project, I can make some examples to show you how to go about getting what you need.

set your ‘font’ to use ‘height’ not ‘points’ in the text preference box…

john

1 Like