Dimension tool in Layout

Why do all of my set scenes set up using measurements in inches load up into Layout and even though I’ve changed the unit of measurement to inches in layout set-up … everything I put dimensions to show up as milimeters?

Sounds to me as if you haven’t changed the units in Dimension Style and you chose ametric paper size template to start with.

Choose the appropriate units and other dimension settings here.
Screenshot - 3_30_2023 , 6_26_27 AM

The Units setting in Document Setup has to do with things like setting margin widths or move distance when moving entities around the page.

I researched that and it seems that is the issue however when I go click Dimension Style in the drop down it opens a box where I can make changes on the right-hand side of the page but, it’s grayed out and it will not let me make any changes to it. I see what I’m supposed to me making changes on but, am locked out of it for some reason

You have to first select the Dimension tool or select existing dimensions you’ve put into the LayOut file already for the Dimension Style panel to be open. It’s the same kind of thing that applies to using the SketchUp Model panel. You have to have a viewport selected for that panel to be active.

You should take the time to go through the instructional materials at learn.sketchup.com

Thank you so much for you response … I just figured out I had to pick the dimension tool first to make the dimensions box active.

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 12.33.17 PM.png

Yeah. That’s what I told you.

You should edit your previous post to get rid of you Infinite Concepts logo. That opens you up to bots and trollers and it’s against forum policy.

Is there any way to click once with the dimension tool, type in the length and hit enter for the line to extend that distance? or will the dimension tool only hit mm accuracy if there is a poly line in the model that can be measured? been trying forever to figure out why I cannot simply DRAW a 50m long line in layout by selecting the dimension tool and drawing a dimension that is 50m long

You want to be able to select the dimension tool and draw a dimension that is, say, 50m long and have the dimension tool also draw you a line that is 50m long…?

because the tool to draw lines is the line tool. not the dimension tool, that is used to mark dimensions of things

take the line tool, click once, move your mouse in the desired direction and type your desired value.

if you need it to be drawn at a scale, there is a panel on your right that allows you to draw scaled drawings.

1 Like

Thanks!, that answers a lot - I was trying to draw a 50m dimension with the dimensions tool but could not enter the dimension to basically fix the line to exactly 50m scaled to the model then rotate it to suit what Im working on. At least I can do it this way if I really need it to be bang on correct dim

1 Like

yeah, the scaled drawing is useful for that, in its panel, you can set whatever parameters you want, say a 1:25 scale drawing, then all you will draw in it will be at this scale. so you can draw 1:1 and still have it 1:25 on paper.
and if you need to change scale, just right click on the scale drawing and pick a new scale.

The album elements (cars, people…) used to be at fixed scales, but now they are scaled drawings as well.

it’s a very neat bit of tech for details too :slight_smile:

1 Like