Developing Importer for .SHP (or SHX) to SketchUp

Hi Jim – I’ve been searching for your email with no success! I’m integrating your Spirix Import Shapefile tool into my dissertation methodology, and was hoping to get citation information from you.

Hi Jimhami42,

Could you please post another link for the jimhami42_shapefile_importer.rbz file? It’s not downloadable right now.

Thanks in advance

It’s been changed to a different name … also the behavior is slightly different.

Let me know if you need assistance.

Importing Shapefiles (shp) to SketchUp (skp)

To Jimhami42,

I can import that file already. Thank you for this very helpful add-on. I was trying to convert file from SHP > COLLADA > SKP, but it couldn’t work! I’m so glad to be here this great SKP community.

Thank you,

hi jimhami,
I tried the plugin with sketchup pro 2017 but nothing happens when I import shp or dbf files.
Is there anything I need to change or so?
Thanks a lot!

Hi @thorwaldhoffmann -

Can you provide a little more detail about the files you’re using? If you launch the Ruby console (Window >> Ruby Console) before running it, does it show any errors? It’s hard to tell what the problem is without a little more information.

I have been playing around with your last version of the plugin and a data set I downloaded from a NYC web site. Given the values displayed for the max and min, they appear to be longitude and latitude values. Is this the normal case?

From what I’ve seen, they can be most anything. It’s up to the database creator how they want to reference things.

With geoloc via add location, how can you import an ArcGIS SHP file that drops in the right place and not 0,0 origin? Shapefile is in WGS 1984 Geographic Coordinate System.