Designing interior - Hiding walls

Hello! Is there any easy way for me to model furniture and place it in my interior design without the front wall getting in my way of view? And something that would make it easy to show/present to someone else, like “Invisible to view” function so that I see the walls, but not the one that is directly in front of me?

You could use section cuts or use tags or both.

Is this to show your client? Would you be showing them the model itself or images?

What version of SketchUp are you using? Your profile is confusing because there is no 2015 Web (Free) version.

1 Like

Try these steps :

1 - Hide any wall that is in your way or the roof if you prefer.

2 - Zoom, pan and orbit to get a view of the inside that suits you.

3 - Create a scene.

4 - Repeat steps 2 and 3 for as many scenes as you need.

5 - Install the furniture.

6 - Unhide the hidden wall.

Then, you have just to click on any scene tab to get inside with a view that shows the furniture as you would like.

Is this a multi-room interior or just one room with say single face walls?
If the latter, you could paint the outer wall faces (the back faces) with transparent *.png texture. When orbitting around your room you’ll only see the inside of walls (and their (for example) wallpaper textures), no matter from what angle you look at your model and furniture.

Illustrating what @Wo3Dan described. The exterior surfaces of the walls and ceiling in this simple box are painted with a pale-gray transparent glass. The inside surfaces are painted with various other materials. Alas, due to a “feature” currently activated in the forum software, animated gifs get converted to static jpeg, so I can’t show what happens as you orbit. But it shows the idea… There is a slight color shift in the interior because I didn’t reduce the glass’s opacity to 0.

transparent_walls

If you use the transparent back-side-of-wall technique (handy for many things) you can’t move the furniture inside. The wall is like a pane of glass and won’t let you select behind it. This technique is useful sometimes for making scenes or allowing a spin view of the room. I put walls and ceilings, roofs etc. on their own layer. I can turn them off and just see the floor and the furniture, or just walls or whatever combination needed.

I generally shoot presentation views from “inside” but sometimes hide a wall on one side or use sections, if necessary.

As an easy way to MODEL furniture. I hope you know you don’t have to model the furniture in place. Also you can edit the furniture component , with component edit View set to Hide rest of model. Or show only the furniture layer, Or move a copy of the component away from the building to work on it (while the other copies in the model update in place).

True. This method could and should be extended by applying a section plane inside the “wall(+ceiling)” group that can either be on =cut (for editing the design / furniture setup) or off =don’t cut for viewing the model.

Getting views of interiors is always difficult. Start by increasing you field of view from 35 to 50 or 60 click on the magnify button. If that dose not work use hide on the walls you do not want to see or use section.