Delete component

Ran into a problem when I renamed components to more real names. Now when I try to delete component # 123 for example which was renamed to “table top left” I do not see a “delete” when I right click on it???

tia

Renamed components in modeling space get that new name (component definition). See what ‘Entity Info’ tells you when right clicking on a component.
Unused components (like # 123 if not present in modeling space anymore) can be deleted from the ‘In Model’ component’s library with ‘Purge Unused’ in the component’s window. Or in Preferences > Statistics > ‘Purge Unused’.

There’s a weirdness in the Component Browser which means that if you highlight a component, then R-click, Delete is greyed out.

To delete it from the Component Browser, highlight any other component, then R-click on the one you want to delete, choose Delete, and it’s gone. Bizarre, wrong, counterintuitive, bugged etc., but find it works for me.

You’ll get a warning if there are any copies of that component left in the model.

Purge unused will get rid of ALL unused components. That may not be what you want.

3 Likes

It’s behaving that way because behind the Components panel, hanging onto your cursor, is a new copy of that component, waiting for you to place it. If no components are selected, the Delete works too.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, Colin. A design feature, then, not the bug I used to think it was.

Thank you all for the help

It’s one of those things that could be argued is not intuitive and should be changed. But then it could be argued that the way it is now is more often the way you want it to work. By that I mean when you are grabbing components from the browser it is nice to just click and it is attached to your cursor for placement, rather than having to click and drag it from the browser. The downside to this is when you want to edit, delete etc you get this problem and also have a component stuck on your cursor that you have to get rid of to move on. Personally I would rather that you had to drag them off and then they stick to your cursor, but that’s just me.

I agree. I understand that there needs to be a dual functionality, but this isn’t an unusual scenario in apps and I think SU chose the least intuitive approach. I can think of several ways I’d prefer— single click to highlight and enable contextual functions, and double click to grab it. Or if that doesn’t work, maybe right click could release the component from the cursor thereby freeing you to access the contextual functions. Or maybe something else—almost anything would be better than the way it is now. While they’re at it, how about a complete component browser refresh? IMO it’s one of the weakest windows in SU.

In particular, it is missing a feature that’s important in larger models - a search function for in-model components.

Outliner can search for them if they are used in the model, but can’t find unused ones.

1 Like

Agreed. Here’s a short list of missing functionality:

• Search function
  • Sort function, including the ability to see unused components
  • View by tags (wouldn’t that be cool?!!)
  • Show component hierarchy for nested sub-components
  • Highlight selected component in model

I’d just like to know from someone at SU if they acknowledge these shortcomings and plan to make changes, or if for some reason they are satisfied with the component browser as is.

It has not a lot improved in the component browser with Sketchup 2022.
What I just realized is that the delete option is greyed out, if you are in list view. The delete option is only enabled in the context menu, if you are in detail, small or large icon view.

Could the component browser please be improved?

The earlier mentioned enhancements I would greatly appreciate. The biggest issue for me is that as soon as you click on a component, it sticks to the cursor. I mostly need the component browser to cleanup and organize internal components and would prefer to double click or click and drag to stick the component to the cursor.

1 Like

Hello!
I don’t understand how you can select other component, because when I R-click on the one I want to delete this become selected and Delete reamain grayed out!
I have read many posts and everywhere indicate to select other component but I can’t do this because I lose it when R-click on the one I want to delete!

Please help, thank’s

if you left click THEN right click, what happens is, SU tries to place the component. since you’re trying to place it, you can’t delete it. can’t do both at the same time.

press esc, and this time, only right click the component. the menu should appear normal.

here :

First image, i do a left click THEN a right click. you see, the menu is grey, because in the background, SU is trying to place a copy.

Capture d’écran 2023-11-12 à 23.27.29

Second image, I only do right click.

Capture d’écran 2023-11-12 à 23.27.34

At the time, John advised to select another component. You can’t delete a component while you’re trying to place it, but you can delete a component while you’re trying to place another one.

I prefer to just press esc, then straight right click and delete.

2 Likes

Oh Yeah! Everything is clear now, thank you very much!