Delayed tool availability when using shortcut keys to access tools

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I’ve recently noticed an issue whereby there is a delay between selecting/activating any tool using/via a shortcut key and the tool actually becoming available to use.

For example, “Draw Rectangle” is bound to “R”. When I press “R”, the “Draw Rectangle” symbol appears on my cursor immediately, but I can’t draw a rectangle for 1-2 seconds. When I eventually draw a rectangle, then try a switch to drawing a circle (by pressing “C”), the same delay occurs before I can draw a circle. Even if I finish drawing a rectangle, press “C”, but before drawing a circle immediately press “R” again, the tool still takes a few seconds before allowing me to draw a Rectangle.

However, if I select tools from the tool bars these issues do not present.

I’ve tested resetting the shortcut keys to their default, to no effect.

I’m using SU18 Pro and SU17 Pro and experiencing the same behavior in both.
Dell Latitude E5570
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel® Core™ i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R7 M360

IT recently (1 week ago) reinstalled my laptop from scratch after a windows/graphics card auto-update prevented SketchUp from booting up at all. I’m not sure if this issue existed right after reinstall or has appeared in the few days since then.

A1-2 second may not sound like much but it’s for every single shortcut…

Cheers,

James

I remember someone else describing the exact same problem in the forum some time back but can’t seem to find it. I think the solution was to update the graphics drivers but I am not sure. Harware isn’t really my area of expertise.

Update:

Issue resolved. But sacrifices had to be made… :frowning:

Following advice from Pro Support I installed the Windows 10 selection tool delay hot fix. However this did not resolve my issue.

I found this other post that seemed to match my issue.
Installing as Administrator didn’t make a difference.
Turned out there was some kind of conflict with my mouse driver.
Evoluent 4. I’m going to email the manufacturer.

Cheers,
James

1 Like

Follow-Up from user that solved this problem: “there is a setting in Win10 that was treating input from the mouse as input from the TouchPad with has “TouchGaurd” settings which are meant to reduce unintended TouchPad inputs during typing.”

1 Like

The missing left clicks were related to the Windows 10 feature intended to prevent unwanted clicks on the touch pad while typing. Check out the following link. You want to set it to the minimum delay.
http://www.howtogeek.com/223404/how-to-stop-accidental-trackpad-clicks-in-windows-10- and-other-mouse-enhancements/

In the Creators edition it has changed the setting to “touchpad sensitivity”. Setting it to “most sensitive” has the exact same effect as what was previously known as “no delay, always on.”

This only seemed to affect some mice that required additional software to access additional functionality. It probably wont affect basic mice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.