Default Shortcut command gone missing - Edit/Item/Explode

Hi John,

the X is historic for me… pre SU I customised over 100 Autocad PC’s with X being the explode shortcut…

To simplify rollover into SU many years ago we carried over some of our common Autocad shortcuts.

Components in components can be nightmarish - so generally I use a component [ but groups inside them…

But that is not the real reason I explode

I often work with my staff’s files and they often have groups within groups within groups

I just want to quickly rationalise the hiearchy by exploding those un necessary groups.

PS I have never had an issue with comfusing X for explode and X to multiple copy…

You might be right re my memory… and without realising the pattern of selecting the object to activate the visiblity of the the option…

nevertheless I customise shortcuts on a lot of different software [Autocad / Draftsight / Datacad / Corel Draw / UPFRONT / 3Dmax / and SU is the only one I have encountered has this quirky methodology…

PS: Don’t get me wrong - I Loath Autocad with a vengence and love Sketchup with a passion!

That all makes sense to me. Thanks for the explanation.

I used to use Autocad, and even got moderately proficient in Lisp. But when I now go back to it (even just using a viewer for DWG files) I can’t believe I was ever any good at it - it just seems so clunky,. Can’t say I hate it, but I certainly never wanted to go back to it after starting on SU at about v7 or v8. I have also used several other 2D drafting programs, including most often several versions of TurboCad - which started in 2D and developed eventually to 3D if I remember rightly.

And another which used the front plane as X-Y, with Z going into the screen - I could never get my head round that one, though I now can’t remember what it was called.

Well re Autocad - I actually introduced autocad 12 to our office [maybe in 1991].

I was actually a Datacad expert but I saw the writing on the wall with a very small user base of it and our office had over 100 staff and we had a great deal of difficult finding staff familair with it.

So we rolled over to Acad 12 for windows - but as soon as AcadLT came out I told the bosses, let me customise it and for the price of 1 autocad lic I could by a 2 PCs and 2 LT licenses so I quickly ramped up the office to 100 LT licenses and PC on every desk. This was probably around 1994.

Over the years though Autodesk made in increasingly harder for us to run LT , changing licensing conditions etc. pricing policies, regional pricing control, etc… They really didn’t like us subverting the full lic and annual upgrade bandwagon.

On top of that Autodesk were extortionate in the pricing for even then was a basic clunky antiquated software where the only annual changes were only playing around with the interface and file format.

I grabbed Alias Upfront when it came out [we modelling a bid for the Sydney Olympics Stadium using it., build most of the Sydney CBD with it. so when SU came out it was a no brainer for me. I tried to keep the office on LT and SU from many years but Autocad made that almost impossible so ultimately we rolled over into REVIT. We investigated and used Archicad 9 -10 -11 and tried to sell our Autocad Licenses to commit fully to Archicad - AUTODESK said no way. your asset is not transferable…

So finally after leaving the company after 23 years as IT manager I was able to setup a practice with my own structure

so I use
SKETCHUP Pro 2016,
DRAFTSIGHT - only for autocad compatability
PHOTOSKETCHER - quick post processing of images
TWINMOTION 2016 for realtime VR files

AUTODESK has only one motive, return for shareholders,

Wow - I have been trying to figure this out for years. Thanks for this thread.