DBS - Movable Joints

The extension allows to configure joints and move them.
What’s interesting from my perspective is that you can create “joint chains”.

2021 11 12

The newest version v3.14:

Configuration:

The trial is available straight from inside SketchUp Extension Warehouse.

You can get it from my site:
:point_right: SketchUp plugin Movable Joints

6 Likes

Smart idea with a simple, natural design and usage. Bravo!

1 Like

Fredo, can’t you do this with your Animator tool also?

DBS, this does look easy and straight forward.

Recently I upgrade this extension with some interesting features.
Please check it and tell me your thoughts.

5 Likes

Looks really interesting, and the interface seems straightforward and easy to understand. Nicely done!

1 Like

Nice interface!

1 Like

Check Aron review

What is the difference between “Move Rotate Open Close” and “Movable Joints” Extensions?

With Open Close you can set those positions for every object and easly switch object between those two (open/close).
Movable Joints is about joint chains, so you can set couple of joints with diferent additional groups and move them with sliders on the control page. If you configure arm… changing shoulder joint angle will move elbow and wrist in space but position of itself joints will stay with constant value.
Whats usefull, is that you see actual Joint position, set exact location you would like to get or set limitations for sliders moves.

@DBS How do I activate a trial license for Movable Joints? I downloaded it from the Extension Warehouse (from inside SU) and tried clicking the activation button, entered my email and was rejected.

So what is the process for enabling the trial?

Trial licensing is manage by Sketchup and you do not need make any actions to use it as a trial… except situation when it doesnt work.
Log out from Extension Wherehause, swith off and on SU, log in and try again.

Online activation is my own backup system in case abowe doesn’t work (unfortunetly sometimes it doesn’t).
Send me pm if still have that issue.

Thanks for the quick answer. I’ll try again this morning and contact you if I’m still having issues.

Still not working: as soon as I click on the ‘Move Joint’ button on the toolbar I get this and I’m stymied:

I’ll PM you.

ciao fredo, mi dai una mano con movable joints? non reisco a fare delle cose e ci sto perdendo un sacco di tempo.

come si fa a cancellare i joints?
non riesco a linkare un gruppo e non capisco come si selezionano o aggiungono

grazie

Hi,
You can see setting process for joint with additional groups on video from 6:55

There is also button to delete it.

Just added new videos with configuration info.

New version 3.14 is available in Extension Warehouse and on my site.
There is a new function letting to set animation time separately for every joint.
Additionally, I improved the manual moves function.

Is there a way to link joint movements for more complex articulations?

Example: I’m trying to create a “bi-fold” airplane hangar style door, basically a door that folds as it rises. There’s a hinge at the top, a hinge in the middle, and the bottom has a wheel (hinge) that tracks a rail (slide). So 3 hinges and 1 slider, but there’s a relationship between them: One can not move without causing the others to move as they’re effectively all points of a triangle…a triangle where one side is adjustable length.

A physics engine could do it, but a) the only one I’m aware of is years out of date and b) it’s not complex enough to need such an engine. Really what’s needed is a way to script the joints in DBS Moveable Joints such that their position values are variables of a triangle formula.

Ideally I could “open” the door by moving the “slide” joint, which would cause the hinge joints to adjust their angles in relation.

1 Like

This is the closest to rigging I’ve seen on skp, it would be great if you can make animations with it without any other extension like fredo animator.

1 Like

There is no way to do that at the moment. I can not tell you the exact date but it’s on the to-do list.