Cropping out view in SketchUp

That’s good! And I don’t disagree!

Can you share the file? I could check and make a video of the best and fastest way to achieve what you want.

To be honest, if the V-ray solution suggested by @mihai.s isn’t feasible I would do the views in Revit that has a “section box” like feature that makes isolating the model parts a breeze.

Would love to do it in Revit,
But I do like the paint bucket tool in SketchUp better!

No one ever had this situation?
To me, it seems like a basic tool SketchUp should have!

Cropping out a room with sections

Which part? Taking a model from another software and magically being able to slice it up and isolate it in a very specific way?

Or the ability to isolate things with components / tags / groups and section planes?

Because you can’t easily to the former, but for the latter if I know that is an outcome I need I can build a model properly to do just that.

1 Like

You can. Just needs multiple nested groups, with multiple section planes active (1 per group), then save a scene remembering everything that was setup. So you’d have a mess of groups and subgroups each level having a section plane active until you isolate what you want. Not terrible difficult for ‘a few rooms’ - but gets cumbersome for 15.

But it is a bit easier if you had a model purpose built for this outcome.

I never hat this specific issue, I think. I make renderings of rooms in a model, but that just involves moving the camera, and rendering either inside the room or using one section to blow out part of the model to move the camera back and get a wider view.

If I needed to make an isometric of a room, I think I’d make a component of the room (grab as much of the surroundings as needed) and save the component as a separate file, and work with that. I don’t know how your file is organized, so not sure how that works for you. You might have to create a copy of the main file that lets you deconstruct parts in order to get them into the “save as” component. So this is not necessarily a back and forth non-destructive process, unless you first organized your rooms like this.

It’s not common to be requested to do something like this, if I’d had to do something like this I would’ve modeled from the beginning every room as a component.

I’d just select everything for a particular room using a window, likely a crossing window even if you get extra stuff and copy it to outside your building.

If it ends up as a group (turns blue when selected, then explode it.) Just edit the copy down from that you selected to what you want by deleting (erasing) the extraneous stuff

Once edited, select the whole copy, right click ,>make group.Tag the group if you want.

Not super fancy, but it works pretty easily.

With your help, I have narrowed down my options to four, and I would appreciate your input on which one you think is the best.

1. Work in Revit. First, create sections, then convert them into 3D. However, applying materials can be difficult.

2. Use SketchUp section planes to create isometric views of the room. This involves a lot of section planes and grouping.

3. Use SketchUp copy-paste. Select the room, copy it, and paste it outside the building.

4. Use Trimble Connect section cuts. Open Trimble Connect, and apply the sections to the room. However, you can’t insert components in Trimble Connect and will need to export it.

Actually you can ‘insert’ components into TC. You make the modifications to the SU file (in SU) and then upload to TC using the TC extension. It’s quick and easy.

Please all leave your opinions!

Just pick whatever is the least worse in your mind. I’d do SU, always.
Note: if the rooms are in individual groups, sections can be isolated to within the group by placing the section plane into the group in edit mode. This will slice only the room group and nothing else.